Looking for advise from someone who has studyed for MCSE 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advise from someone who has studyed for MCSE 2012

I am interested in studying for MCSE 2012.

Its a little confusing though, I have looked on the microsoft site -

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...id=ehAtaLc0HJA

But I see 8 modules each with several exams that are required to be taken.

Does completed one of those modules, for example MCSE: Server infrastructure, give you the qualification or do you need to complete all of those modules?
    Last edited by davids355; 16th May 2013, 11:05.
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: Looking for advise from someone who has studyed for MCSE 2012

In MCSE: Server Infrastructure case, if you have the below already, you only need to take 3 exams being 417, 413 and 414.

MCSA: Windows Server 2008
    MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7

Otherwise, if not upgrading as you don't have the above, 410, 411, 412, 413 and 414.

Comment

Although I studied extensively for the 2003 MCSE exams, I do not have any qualifications unfortunately.

So am I right in understanding that MCSE: Server Infrastructure is one qualification in its own right, and achieved by sitting 410, 411, 412, 413 and 414. And MCSE: Desktop infrastructure is another qualification in its own right? Or do they overlap?
      David Silvester
      Systems Administrator

Comment

You are correct -- there are 8 separate MCSE qualifications so any one of them will give you the title of MCSE but it will be in that specific field

You could take all 8 but not many people would do so

There may be overlap in the exams between them, for example both Server Infrastructure and Messaging need exam 70-410
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          You are correct -- there are 8 separate MCSE qualifications so any one of them will give you the title of MCSE but it will be in that specific field

You could take all 8 but not many people would do so

There may be overlap in the exams between them, for example both Server Infrastructure and Messaging need exam 70-410
          thanks, thats exactly the information I was looking for.
          I am going to Waterstones tonight to look for a study book to get me started.

Also thinking about singing up for trainsignal.com for practice exams.
          David Silvester
          Systems Administrator

Comment

IMHO some of the best books (if available) are the Microsoft Press "Self Paced Training" series -- look for the exam number you want. Other opinions will differ

Trainsignal Video training is also good, but I don't know if they do practice tests -- look at Transcender and Self Test Software for those (much better than MeasureUp but a bit more expensive)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Tom, I will look for those books and Ill also look at the other online services you mentioned - I did have a trial of trainsignal recently and they do offer practice exams, but I didnt look at them in any detail.
              David Silvester
              Systems Administrator

Comment

Looking at this one (410):
                http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/073567...sr=8-2&pi=SL75

Are they the books you were talking about?

Only thing is, the second book (411), is not even out until may 31st - in the uk at least.

Also, seeing as I don't have any mcse qualifications, Is it best to do the 2012?

Most of the systems I work with are 2003-2008, think we have 2 systems on 2012, but I'm thinking there's no point studying for an old exam??
                David Silvester
                Systems Administrator

Comment

IMHO some of the best books (if available) are the Microsoft Press "Self Paced Training" series -- look for the exam number you want. Other opinions will differ

Trainsignal Video training is also good, but I don't know if they do practice tests -- look at Transcender and Self Test Software for those (much better than MeasureUp but a bit more expensive)
                  I've had very variable experiences with the MS Press books. Some are very good, but the ones I've used most recently (Server 2003 to 2008 upgrade for exam 70-648/629) are all written by the same people and are quite poor IMO. They are full of asides and real-world anecdotes that are just distracting and annoying.

The advantage to the MS Press books is that they come with MeasureUp practice tests on the accompanying CD though.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    I've had very variable experiences with the MS Press books. Some are very good, but the ones I've used most recently (Server 2003 to 2008 upgrade for exam 70-648/629) are all written by the same people and are quite poor IMO. They are full of asides and real-world anecdotes that are just distracting and annoying.

The advantage to the MS Press books is that they come with MeasureUp practice tests on the accompanying CD though.
                    Are there books you would recommend instead?

I'm not as worried about the practice exams, as I am thinking of signing up for an on-line service for that, and video tutorials etc.
                    David Silvester
                    Systems Administrator

Comment

Ordered the MS press book in the end. Should come tomorrow. I'll probably subscribe to train signal as well.

Thanks for the pointers guys.
                      David Silvester
                      Systems Administrator

Comment

You asked about which certs to do

IMHO it is too early to take a first cert in 2012/Win8 as the majority of businesses are either on, or planning to go to, 2008R2/win7 so if I was starting off, I would get the MCSA/MCSE in Server 2008 done, then consider upgrading to 2012
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

You asked about which certs to do

IMHO it is too early to take a first cert in 2012/Win8 as the majority of businesses are either on, or planning to go to, 2008R2/win7 so if I was starting off, I would get the MCSA/MCSE in Server 2008 done, then consider upgrading to 2012
                          I jumped in too quick and ordered the 2012 book! I sort of agree with what you are saying - I work for a small IT company that support very small businesses (1-50 employees) and in fact 70% of our servers run sbs 2003, 20% run 2008, 5% run sbs 2011 and two clients run 2012.

Having said that, my reasons for studying are really to keep up with the changes so I'm thinking maybe best to study the latest course available - Also I managed to pick up 2008 reasonably well because its quite similar to 2003, however 2012 looks a lot different, so possibly I will benefit more from studying 2012?
                          David Silvester
                          Systems Administrator

Comment

We've used the Sybex books at various times and have found them to be pretty good, at least where the MS Press ones aren't as good.
                            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I will see how I get on with this one, but I'll bear those books in mind for the next module (assuming I get that far!).
                              David Silvester
                              Systems Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X