No announcement yet.

Certification in Server 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certification in Server 2003

A while ago I started working my way through exams for MCSA in Server 2003 path. I went through 5 of them out of 7 and then changed jobs. The new employer never asked for any certificates and I had enough on my head not to follow up. I did some courses in the meantime linked to server 2008/2012 and similarly with Exchange and I've been working on these new systems mostly in small business environment. Now thinking of changing the jobs again I'd like to catch up with certificates. I'm not sure though what would be the, well, easiest/fastest way to do it. Whether to continue with 2003 and then do some updates or forget the 2003 and start from blank again. The second option worries me as preparing for each of the exams takes considerable amount of time and it would be unlikely to get through all the exams leading to MCSA before changing the jobs. Not even sure if there are any updates from 2003 to 2012 directly. Any advise most welcome

Re: Certification in Server 2003

You may find that some if not most of the 2003 exams are no longer available including qualifications. If you already have MCSA or MCSE 2003 there was an upgrade path to MCITP 2008. There is now an upgrade path from MCITP: SA and EA to MCSE 2012, which I am going to go for. Even if there is an upgrade path directly from 2003 to 2012, I wouldn't recommend it.

If it is still available, I'd personally in your position look at upgrading to MCITP:SA and EA if you wish to look at the Design side of things as well and then upgrade path to MCSE: 2012 or do MCSE 2012 and not do the upgrade path.

You will need to be PDQ as the exams are due to retire on July 31st this year

I don't know if the "old style" MCSA / MCSE are retired yet, but if not, they will be at the same time as the exams.

AFAIK there are upgrades from 2003 to 2008 (again check for retired certs) and from 2008 to 2012, but not directly
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I see that I'd need 2 exams from MCSA 2003 to MCITP which sounds good for a start rather than rushing on to complete MCSE 2003 before end of June. This should get me closer to 2012 certifications.