Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which cert to start off with?

Hi Guys

im new to the certification side of IT, ive been working my way up through the IT ranks a little... service desk(helpdesk level 1,2), now administrating (i have 2-3 years experience right now) AD DNS Radius file and print virtualisation VMware etc

most of my knowledge comes from on the job experience and i am wanting to expand my knowledge and also get reconciled for my skills that i will get from these certificates

what route should i take. i really do not know where i should start

ideally i would like to self study as i have some basic VMware infrastructure at home

thanks guys

Re: which cert to start off with?

Assuming you are looking at Microsoft Certifications, look at the client or server OS tracks
    More info at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...echnology.aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks for the reply

would you recommend doing mcitp or the mcse?

thanks

Comment

Not much difference really -- both start off with the same exams, just a question of how many and how far you take it
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

is it better to stick with 2008 or go with 2012?

thanks

Comment

What do you need for your job?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

IMHO stick with the safer option -- 2012 is new on the market and will not be "mainstream" in most businesses for some time.

But I would go with Marcel's answer too!
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Just to give my input

the 2008 exams expire end of July 2013 for Enterprise Administrator thats 5 exams to do in 5/6 months then another to bump it to Server 2012.

With 2012 I have noticed that the first 3 exams are the same for both the MCSA and Server Infrastructure. So you could do 3 and go for the MCSA and then another 2 bumps it to Infrastructure, should you wish to.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...ification.aspx
                http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...ification.aspx

If you decided to go administrator 2008 then Enterprise Admin you would need to take 6 exams in total.

So even though my site is all 2008 I am looking at 2012 for two reasons

Less exams to get to higher certification plus I dont have to get done by July 2013

Finally the MSoft study guides for 2012 aren't released till April 2013

Hope that makes sense

Comment

I have to say MS seem to be shooting themselves in the foot (again?) by withdrawing the last generation of premium certifications so quickly after the release of the new versions.
                  It is not just Server 2012 but MCITPs in SQL 2008 are going, as are MCPDs in Visual Studio 2010, although the accompanying MCTS exams are still very much alive.

It has a similarity to the now ancient "we'll withdraw all MCSEs in NT4 since Windows 2000 is out", and I hope pressure will be put on them to keep the older technology certifications alongside the newer ones.
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X