A tale of too many exams...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tale of too many exams...

Well, its been so long since I took any exams, I had almost forgotten what it was like, and my signature seemed to be shrinking slightly, so I decided it was time to get back into certification mode...

Yesterday, bright and early to the test centre and:

Exam Number 1: 70-682 (Upgrade to ITP Windows 7 Enterprise Support)
    50 questions in 130 minutes, in two separately timed parts:
    25 Q in 50 mins covering 70-680 (TS)
    25Q in 80 mins covering 70-685 (ITP)
    Passed with 775 in about an hour.
    Nothing particularly difficult, quite a lot of setup and deployment questions

so straight onto:

Exam Number 2: 70-686 (ITP Enterprise Desktop Administrator)
    81 (Eighty-effing-one!) questions in 175 minutes, again as two separate parts:
    A 9 Q (25 minute) case study
    72 mixed questions in 150 mins
    Passed with 730 again in a bit over an hour.
    Again a fair number of deployment, some WSUS and a few SCCM/SCDPM type questions.

Feeling on a roll, so re-scheduled an exam I had booked for next week ( to test centre staff) and:

Exam Number 3: 70-663 (ITP Exchange 2010)
    60 questions in 125 mins:
    50 general questions in 95 mins, then two 5 Q (15 min) case studies
    Passed with 740 from a good mix of questions, and you needed to know your roles, but I hadn't prepared very much for the exam and came out feeling good.

Back today for:

Exam Number 4: 70-646 (ITP Server Admin)
    60 questions in 150 mins, lots of case studies plus about 25 general questions in half the time.
    Passed with 785 in about an hour -- nothing particularly memorable, just a good mix if questions.

And finally all good things had to come to an end:

Exam Number 5: 70-662 (TS Exchange 2010)
    I really should have done this before the 70-663 (original plan)and was probably feeling overconfident, plus tired and getting a headache.
    70 questions in 140 minutes, all in one block.
    Got through them once in about 45 minutes and was going through them again (my preferred way) when the test software crashed. The admin (bless her!) restarted it and all answers were there, so I finished going through the exam, feeling a bit detached from reality and muttering to myself "Can't be A... can't be B...".
    Finished and got 690 -- near miss but not the magic number. Bu**er!
    Thinking over it, I needed more practice and less "I can do it without proper prep", so booked in again next week and an intensive cram this weekend, mainly on PowerShell cmdlets and what they do exactly. One thing I was suprised by was the number of questions with 10+ single choice answers -- record was A-M!!!

So all in all, 3 new ITPs, and one TS away from a fourth. Time to update my signature and have a bloody good tonight!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: A tale of too many exams...

wow. snap. that's a nice effort mate, congrats
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

That's quite a lot to take on. I'm curious, it this a matter of personal accomplishment or do these certifications add value in the eyes of your employer or customers?

I went into business shortly after completing my MCSE in 2002 and never looked back. I have never carved out the time for studying and certifications. I have been a 'hands on' learner.

Congratulations!
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

I'm fairlysure Ossian is self employed... So it-see partially for self improvement and possibly also frmarketing.

Personal I suspect my clients don't careabout my certs so I do them for me...
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Pretty much hit the nail on the head, tehcamel
          I run my own business, but since I am an MCT, the more qualifications I have, the more courses I can officially train (actually I do a lot of training based on my experience but not the official mandate, but some clients want things to be on my transcript).

Work has been good recently, so little time to do exams, so I took the opportunity of a few free days to catch up.... As you can see, it almost worked!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You sire, are a machine. I thought doing four exams in a week was a heady accomplishment (I will not share my pass/fail ratio).
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Well, just to finish off my tale....

Back this afternoon for 70-662 part deux
              Bad start with the testing machine crashing several times loading the exam -- stress levels rising...
              Eventually, 1/2 an hour late, I got onto another machine and started
              Same as before -- 70 questions in 140 minutes, no testlets.
              Mostly single answer, some "put in order" but very few multiple answer ones. Lots of choose one from a list of 10+ PowerShell cmdlets.

Eventually passed with 737 -- not my best moment, but very glad to get it out of the way

So now an MCITP (Enterprise Messaging Administrator) and time for a signature update
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Nice one Ossian.

Wish I had time to do exams, I agreed to get my MCITP: EA and renew my STS in Enterprise Vault in my last appraisal. Deadline is the end of the financial year, which is 2 weeks away and I haven't had time to do any of them.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Good going Ossian. I have one in a week's time. Nothing as epic as yours.

Comment

Working...
                  X