No announcement yet.

Certification Upgrade Question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certification Upgrade Question

I currently have the MCSA 2000 certification and I am interested in upgrading to one of the following certifications:

* MCSE 2003
    * MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    * MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008

I am interested in MCSE 2003 because there are several employers still looking and requiring this cert for positions -
    and once I have that certification I would not have to re-certify like with the newer MCITP certifications.

I was trying to find info on the upgrade path from MCSA 2000 to MCSA 2003 but it looks like it was retired.

Can someone please provide insight into what you believe would be the best route to take - or to make a recommendation.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Certification Upgrade Question

2 options as I see it.

1. Jump straight to MCITP, which is 3 exams for the SA and 5 for EA, or
    2. 5 exams to MCSE 2003 (290, 291, 293, 294 and 297 or 298 ) assuming you already meet the client and elective requirements. Then you are 2-3 exams from that to upgrade to SA or EA.

The direct upgrade exams for 2000 to 2003 are discontinued so these are your options. I'd personally lean more towards the MCITP as it's more future-proof. Although there are still people looking for MCSEs on 2003 most firms will be moving away to 2008 soon.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

@Cruachan - Thank you for the reply.
      I'll review the MCITP SA and EA options a little further in detail.

Also I would suspect many firms would understand that MCSA(2000) and MCITP(SA) probably indicates a similar degree of competence in 2003

Although not everyone.... I was once turned down for a contract because the specs included A+, and apparently my signature block did not equal that....
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Certainly take exams on MCITP. Worth reviewing 2003 from a knowledge point-of-view and MCITP 2008 does have elements where 2003 knowledge does come in handy.