Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading MCSA Security Advice

Hi

This is my first post. I am Stuart. I am looking for some advise on upgrading my MCSA (security) to an MCITP either server admin or enterprise admin. My problem is I cannot decide what to do whether doing the upgrade exam 70-648 or doing 70-640 and 70-642 separately. I liked the idea of doing the upgrade exam before but the only microsoft press available is the first edition as there is no second edition that would take into account the R2 release. I have heard that 70-648 is very difficult so I am just looking for some advise from people who may of taken this exam on how to proceed.

Many Thanks

Stuart

MCSA Security, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL Foundation, A +

Re: Upgrading MCSA Security Advice

i didn't find 648 difficult at all.
    Really, it just covers both 640 and 642. It's broken into two parts, one for each module.
    So you could review te material for each of the two exams, then go do the upgrade exam.

As i said, I didn't find it particularly difficult - i tend to find the upgrades are easier
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi tehcamel

Thanks for replying I did think about doing that reviewing both the material from both 640 and 642 but looking at the size of the MS press book (1000 pages for 640 and 800 pages for 642) I was a bit worried about the amount of work I would need to remember. I might just give that a go though as it gets it out of the way quicker. I have bought the MS press books from Amazon so am ready to make a start

Also what practise exams would people recommend SelfTest or measureup (both are authorised by Microsoft)

Many Thanks

Stuart

Comment

IMHO Transcender (official, if not authorised) and SelfTest are a big leap ahead of MeasureUp -- I use STS personally

Remember, you need a combination of
        Knowledge (add TrainSignal video courses to your books)
        Practice
        Experience

(and the greatest of these is experience!)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you practice the labs covered in the training resources, you won't have to worry about "remembering" the material. Memorization is not going to be your best tool for these exams, IMHO.
          JM @ IT Training & Consulting
          http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have had a look on self test, trainsignal and transcender sites and the stuff there looks good but I am limited by financial constraints on what i can afford to do. I think what I will done is read 640 and 642 course book and then buy a 30 day pass on self test for 60-648 and then sit the exam.

Thanks again for the advise

Stuart

Comment

If I can very slightly disagree with Ossian, experience is important for understanding, but often practical experience doesn't tie up with what Microsoft think is the right answer.

The example I always use for this is the 70-270 exam, where MS always suggest that Last Known Good Configuration fixes every single boot problem. IME it has never worked. The 70-291 teaches loads of DNS stuff that is never used in the real world, like stub zones and secondary zones.

That's my experience of MS exams anyway.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                If I can very slightly disagree with Ossian, experience is important for understanding, but often practical experience doesn't tie up with what Microsoft think is the right answer.

The example I always use for this is the 70-270 exam, where MS always suggest that Last Known Good Configuration fixes every single boot problem. IME it has never worked. The 70-291 teaches loads of DNS stuff that is never used in the real world, like stub zones and secondary zones.

That's my experience of MS exams anyway.
                Just a couple of bits of input from me.

I have had Last Known Good Config save me on a couple of occasions on users laptops, never funnily enough on a server OS though.

While i have never used stub zones we have at least 2 secondary DNS zones in use in our org.

Although i agree about the exams i do think practical experience does help nut out which of the 2 correct answers are there then you have to decide which one is the MS right answer.

Comment

Working...
                X