Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Bootcamps

I have a few general questions.

First off, what are your opinions on Bootcamps? For those of you who have gone through Bootcamps did you just get a certification, or did you feel that your working knowledge of the product was in line with what the certification implies?

Assuming you have a good impression of Bootcamps, do you recommend any course providers?

specifically, i'm looking at the 'MCITP: Database Administrator 2008' cert.

Thank you!
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Re: Opinions on Bootcamps

tbh its very much a personal thing. I have taken, and taught bootcamps and they are VERY intensive, but can be good fun.

If you are able to study for 12-16 hours per day, go for it, but if you prefer a slower pace, avoid like the plague
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Ossian. I think I'm going to give one a try. Any recommendations on course providers?

Comment

Sort of depends where you are!
        I had ggod experiences with "The Training Camp" (now Firebrand, IIRC)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

the other thing is.. a bootcamp may plough plenty of knowledge into your head, and you might be abl to pass the exam at the end of th eweek, but you'll end up forgetting heaps of it.

real world experience is important - and personally, I'd rather hire someone I can sit down and talk random technology with, who can demonstrate passion and knowledge, than someone who is just certified without being passionate and able to just talk about whatever

in another sense.. the MS exams are now getting much more real-world oriented, where training materials alone probably won't give you evcerything you need, or the breadth of things you need

I've sat in exams recently that have coverd things like using SCCM and other entperrise based tools, yet none of this material is covered in the training material... it's only because I've seen it in the Wild that I knew how to answer
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            I'd rather hire someone I can sit down and talk random technology with, who can demonstrate passion and knowledge, than someone who is just certified without being passionate and able to just talk about whatever

in another sense.. the MS exams are now getting much more real-world oriented, where training materials alone probably won't give you evcerything you need, or the breadth of things you need

I've sat in exams recently that have coverd things like using SCCM and other entperrise based tools, yet none of this material is covered in the training material... it's only because I've seen it in the Wild that I knew how to answer
            Basically what I'm concerned about as well.
            After looking a little closer at some of the SQL 2008 MCITP bootcamps they have fairly strict prerequisites. Seems like the bootcamp is taking someone with a very good understanding of the product and filling in the blanks for them so they can pass the test. The ones I've seen are not meant for newbies.

Comment

I have looked in to using Training Camp for the MCITP Enterprise -Server 2008 cert. The prices are ok. Now given alot of people have said the same thing that it is about regergitation in a boot camp enviroment I would definately reccomend having a little hands on knowledge when you go into it or atleast the pre-reqs that they require. Just my opinion.

btw... I go in September for this particular B.C.

Comment

Working...
              X