Years of Experience = MS Certs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Years of Experience = MS Certs

My company just recently changed our minimum qualifications for the position of Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.
    They are requiring A+, Net+ and MCITP 70-680 and 70-685.
    They have made it clear that if we do not obtain these Certs by a certain date; we will be not meeting the MQ for our position and will be released from employment.

All of us have our A+ and most of us have N+. We are all long time, good standing employees with the company; upwards of 15 years.
    The few of us that are 10-15 years in, we feel this is unfair to require these Certs and hold our jobs in jeopardy. One of us even has a Bachelors Degree in IT, which is a MQ for Systems Analyst in the same company (a higher level position)

My question is this......

Is there some sort of formula that can be considered equivalent to what they want? There are similar calculations for years on job = college degree (if the employer so chooses).
    Since we were hired under a different MQ all thoes years ago, there should be some kind of "grandfathering" for us. I'm not trying to get out of getting them; I just don't like be bullied into getting them.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks for your time

Re: Years of Experience = MS Certs

No equivalences I am aware of, although I remember some professional organisations like the British Computer Society took some MS certs (programming, not admin IIRC) as fulfilment of their membership requirements.

You don't say where you are based, but I would consider getting a good employment lawyer on your case, or your union, and talk to management and point out that they could get some numpty with all the certs but NO experience, or you with fewer certs but demonstrable real world skills which (IMHO) are as valuable!

WIll the company pay your training and certification? If so, grab it anyway as, with your experience, it should be easy enough to pass
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree - it's a bit idiotic to demand certs. I was given them as a target, but I honestly believe they are fairly soft targets. (in fact, one of my targets was a cert I obtained 12 monthys before I started, way to read my CV :P)

Also, with 70-680 and 685, if you've spent 2 years regularly using nand supporting windows 7, get a second-shot voucher, and just sit the exam.
      if you don't pass it, then do trainsignal or cbt nuggets to brush up whjere you need to (or make your employer buy the mspress book) then resit it.

I'd say they need the certs for a microsoft partnership or something..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

thanks for the info..........
        and its not for a MS partnership, they are just being A-holes and trying to get rid of the ones they dont like.

yes they are paying for them, but offering crappy online training.
        I am just disgrutled. Have talked to union and still waiting for some results

Comment

Good luck, but with 10+ years experience and some training ( I suggest Transcender practice tests as the best way) you should sail through
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X