Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get a certification track started with a limited budget?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get a certification track started with a limited budget?

I would like to change careers and have been looking at the MCSE for a while, but how can I get started? I have a limited budget for this and with my current company, I am on the road quite a bit. I don't always have internet access available while travelling and the places I travel to are often off of the beaten path. Is there a way I can get the training I need without having to spend time at a traditional school or having to attend one of those shotgun schools that cram the information down your throat? Can I study this at home or on the road without ending up a "paper mcse"? Any help provided will be welcome. Thank You.

Re: How can I get a certification track started with a limited budget?

Best way I would say is to purchase the MSCE training books and set-up a small network and mess around with iy.

You may have to read other books that explaine concepts a lot simpler as the Microsoft MSCE books assume you already have knowledge in an IT environment (2 years I think it is)

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I can throughly recommend Train Signal as an excellent training tool.
      http://www.trainsignal.com
      This CBT can be used while you are one the road.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you for your response:

To m80arm: Thanks for the insight. Could you recommend some of the titles that would explain some of the basics? I have very little knowledge on this subject and anything I could get my hands on would be of great help.

To biggles77: Thanks for the tip. I saw on the web site that they offer some free training as well. My background is in surveying and mapping and ESRI has an online campus that offers free as well as pay-as-you-go instructor led training. Do any other IT web sites offer this?

I do a consiterable amount of traveling and sometimes we end up in a motel or hotel that does not have internet access. The CD study guides will help out a lot. Thank you again for all of your help.

Comment

These are 4 core books:

http://www.compman.co.uk/scripts/browse.asp?ref=610099

I would start with the Windows XP OS one first nd then work your want up. You will probably find them a bit difficult not comming from a computing background but everyone has to start somewhere. I would suggest setting up a few windows XP machines and just famalirising yourself with the OS.
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

You are looking for materials but in less price. I can refer you a good site www.ucertify.com they are giving 70% heavy discount on some of their products. Go and look around that. With demo questions you can access the quality of the questions. There are several articles, books, notes on net you don't need to purchase to all, they are free. This will be best for your prepration.

Comment

Hi Draconis76,
              You can setup 1 PC with Windows Server + VMware 2K or Xp workstation virtual software, then you will have Server + Workstation and can train your self on 1 PC.

Comment

hi Draconis76,
                I can provide u these books a soft copy ebooks as well as LearnKey - Windows Server 2003 70-290 5 Cd's, LearnKey - Windows Server 2003 70-293 and Windows Server 2003 MCSE Update Skills 5 CD's also.

If u r interested, I'm glad to help you out.

habibalby
                ================================
                HND: Higher National Diploma in
                Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
                MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
                Done:VMware DSA
                ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks to everybody for all of the great advice. I have been on the road and have just gotten back in town. I want to also thank you for the links, they are very helpful.

To m80arm from the 10th: I have a little computer knowledge but I am lacking in the networking area. Will the book "Networking for Dummies" be a good book to use to get a leg up on the terminology or would that be too basic? I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass, I really welcome the pointers.

To JeanPierre on the 11th: Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.

To ezahariev on the 12th: OK, do you know where I can find the procedure? Thank you.

To habibalby: I clicked on your link and it took me to a site on the books I'm looking into. Is this the right place and will they ship to the U.S?

Once again, thanks for all of the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis76
                    To habibalby: I clicked on your link and it took me to a site on the books I'm looking into. Is this the right place and will they ship to the U.S?
                    I can upload them to u and then download them.
                    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Originally posted by habibalby
                      hi Draconis76,
                      I can provide u these books a soft copy ebooks as well as LearnKey - Windows Server 2003 70-290 5 Cd's, LearnKey - Windows Server 2003 70-293 and Windows Server 2003 MCSE Update Skills 5 CD's also.

If u r interested, I'm glad to help you out.

habibalby
                      Hi Habibalby,
                      Will you be so kind if possible to provide to me also these books?
                      Thank you in advance.

Comment

hi,

please check this out, if link it doesn't work, Then i have to upload the complete Training CD Kit for you.

Code:
                        raining Kit
                        ----------
                        Exam 70-290): Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 
                        hxxp://ftpgz5.pconline.com.cn/exam/it/70290training.rar
                        Exam 70-291): Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure.
                        hxxp://ftpgz5.pconline.com.cn/exam/it/70291training.rar
                        Exam 70-293): Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure.
                        hxxp://ftpgz5.pconline.com.cn/exam/it/70293training.rar
                        Exam 70-294): Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
                        hxxp://ftpgz5.pconline.com.cn/exam/it/70294training.rar
                        habibalby
                        Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Thanks for the responses to this thread. I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the forum and I would like to say that your topics have helped me out greatly. Now I have a few other questions. How do I get the hands on experience needed for the MCSE? Does home networking count as experience and if not, where can I get some real world experience? Thanks

Comment

I agree entirely with m80arm,

Without enought experiance in IT atleast 2 years, eveything will be difficult for you.

Advice:

1.Train yourself with windows configurations, installing, uninstalling windows, softwares and so on.

2. Little networking stuff you have to have some knowleged in order to processed with MCSA and then MCSE.

3. Understanding lots of concepts and protocols that used by microsoft or cisco or other organizations.

Then processed with your MCSA and then MCSE.

All the best.
                            Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Working...
                            X