Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSA2000 or MCSA2003

Hi ,
    I have just discovered this site and forum and I'm excited of it.
    I'm going to prepare for MCSA exam, but I don't know which ones is most actual: MCSA2000 or MCSA2003?
    I working mostly in W2K now as system administrator at big international company (DC,AD,ISA,Exchange etc.)
    I'm also on crossroad concerning MS and linux learning.
    Could you please advice me something.

Thank you in advance.

Emil
    [email protected]

Re: MCSA2000 or MCSA2003

If you haven't done any of the exams for either track then I would start on Windows 2000 - Sooner or later you never know your company might migrate to 2003 and you may get more involved.

LInux is also good to learn but I concentrate the majority of my time on MSCE and mess around with Linux when I get the chance.

Good Luck

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I would recommend going for the qualification that will help you the most in your job, i.e. you work with 2000 sit the 2000 exams.

Is your company planning on migrating to 2003 soon??

Comment

No the company is not going to migrate to 2003 soon, as far as I know.
        Could you advice me where to start:
        Read and practice for 70-210 first and get it or read and practice for all 70-210; 70-215; 70-216 and 70-218 and then going to exams MCSA.

Comment

I found 216 to be unbelievably hard, failed it twice before i passed it, so i left it till last.

Depends on whether you want the MCSA or not.

Start with 210, 215, 217 then go from there

Comment

Thank you wullieb1,
            Could you advise me what books to read and what type of home test lab to build.
            Thanks in advance.

Comment

Definately build a network of at least 4 PC's, 2 servers and 2 clients.

As for books it's all down to personal preference, i found the MCSA (70-21book from Microsoft press really good for clearing a few bits and bobs up and the explanations were good. Sybex books are also very good.

Comment

O.K., but if I'm going to change my job in company where is using W2K3 in next 1 or 2 years, I'm afraid that MCSA2000 knowledge will not be inaf.
                What about this?

Comment

after 2000 do the upgrade, to 2003.
                  from MCSA2000 its just one exam.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by ezahariev
                    O.K., but if I'm going to change my job in company where is using W2K3 in next 1 or 2 years, I'm afraid that MCSA2000 knowledge will not be inaf.
                    What about this?

Are you looking to change your job in the next 2 years though.

What you will find is a lot of companies that still use NT4 Server as it works perfecty well for them.

I would still go down the 2000 route as your company at the moment is using 2000 with no plans to upgrade. Do th 2003 track will only put you out of step with your existing network.

Comment

Definitely the MCSA 2003.

Why? It's better to learn the new stuff such as the DS commands, GPMC and other new features in 2003. On the other hand much of the knowledge you gain in 2003 can be applied to 2000 e.g. you still create users using ADUC, or ADSI. Knowing MS is fine but there are other technologies worth knowing too!

Comment

Originally posted by jimh
                        Definitely the MCSA 2003.

Why? It's better to learn the new stuff such as the DS commands, GPMC and other new features in 2003. On the other hand much of the knowledge you gain in 2003 can be applied to 2000 e.g. you still create users using ADUC, or ADSI. Knowing MS is fine but there are other technologies worth knowing too!
                        What you mean other technologies?

Comment

Here's the route I took.

Since I already had my A+ and Net+, all I needed for MCSA2K was 210, 215, and 218.

Now I'm working on 292 for the MCSA2K3 ugrade, then 293, 294, and a design exam and I'll have MCSE2K3.

Comment

Working...
                          X