Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSE XP/2K3 Track

Hello,

maybe members can share with me their advice on this, i have been struggling a lot with the way i am studying, this is possibly due to demotivation, what i have noticed is when returning back to work i attempt to study but am unable to focus due to the heavy day that i experience and unpleasant working environment that i work in.

I decided to just study on weekends and set a goal i.e. saturday i do this chapter, sunday i do this chapter. Of course i would have to use my judgment on how realistic the goals are.

Thanks for your advice.

Best Regards

Salv236
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Re: MCSE XP/2K3 Track

While I have to say this at the start and say I do not actuly have ANY MS cert, but thats more to do with me not being stuffed to site the test, and not me not studing.

Anyhow...

Can you not study at work? I spend abit of time on this message board when I am at work, and during that time I spend alot of it looking up solutions for peoples problems.... thats basiclly studying (you will need to make a effort to find the "Microsoft" solution for a problem).

If you are unable to do that, if you are in IT, tell your boss that you are going for this exam and ask for some time off/lower work load for a day or two, and study your ass off.

Failing that, find someway fun to do it. I setup a media Centre for my house using Server 2008, and I have a small number of machines VMed for different reason. I really loved setting this up, and it really pushed the limit of "basic IT knowledge". I was lucky and managed to get the software for free from the heroes launch (or was it the wave...), and I have a pile of spare computers at my house, so it was free.

I do not believe that studying on weekends is a good idea, as you will never study for as long or as much as you should/could, as weekends are for doing things.

One hint I can give for the exams (just becuse I never actuly sat one, does not mean I have not done all the Transender questions) remember its a Microsoft exam, so use the Microsoft answers, not the real world answers :P

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Everyone has their own ways of studying, and there are not "right" or "wrong" ways.
      Consider breaking work down further, so a section each lunchtime, or perhaps get up early and do some before you leave.

Have you tried some video training products (e.g. www.trainsignal.com) as an alternative to books?

Good luck!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What I'm doing for my CompTIA A+ is every day when I get home from work, I turn off the TV, Computer, any distractions and read 2-3 chapters right before before bed, give it a try.
        "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

The situation im faced with is when i return to work sometimes i cannot switch off from work due to worry for the next day.

At home what i use is vmware & mspress books, i electronically make notes as i go along, when i do the labs i capture video.

Studying at work would probably not be an option as the i work in a hostile environment.

I tried to do 2 hours per day during the week but unable to get motivated or concentrate.

I may try to start work early and leave earlier, cook, shower washup, sleep for 2 hours then study for 2 hours.

I will also try to combine the study style mentioned for a weekend schedule.

Not everyone can study the same way, a formula may work for one person but not for the other.
          Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Comment

Try WRITING note instead of making them on your computer, they did some study and it showed if you write them down your brain remembers them easier.
            "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

I study in "quiet" periods at work and sometimes over lunchtimes, depends on workloads really. I find writing notes as I read helpful, then I use those notes as crib sheets before I sit the exam. Practice exams are worthwhile to a degree, but be careful not to get to the point of just learning them, which is easily done with the small banks of questions you get from MeasureUp etc.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by salv236 View Post
                The situation im faced with is when i return to work sometimes i cannot switch off from work due to worry for the next day.
                It has been proven that a glass of wine or beer between work and study will increase proformance.

Increases the blood flow, decreases stress, allows faster access between the left and right sides of the brain (due to increases blood flow) ect ect ect...

Plus, gives you a excuse to have a beer.

Wofen
                Good to be back....

Comment

Hi there,

I know where your coming from. Your brain feels fried when you come home and you just want to shut off. I think firstly you need to look after your body and mind when you come home. Go to the gym, a walk, swim just get outside for a while. This will de stress you and relax your mind, Next have something to eat and chill out for an hour or so. Then i would do an hours study, take some notes, summarize what you have learned and get a good nights sleep. An hour or more a day goes a long way in studying.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
                    It has been proven that a glass of wine or beer between work and study will increase proformance.

Increases the blood flow, decreases stress, allows faster access between the left and right sides of the brain (due to increases blood flow) ect ect ect...

Plus, gives you a excuse to have a beer.

Wofen
                    You're clearly australian aren't you :P
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If you are truly demotivated it's nearly impossible to study, at least for me.
                      I know where I'm doing my studies for. Now I think you find a reason for yourself to get motivated.

One motivation might be that when you got your MCSE, the workload might be less stressful since loads of things you now know because of your studie.
                      An other motivation might be if you don't like your current working environment. If you get your certs straight then finding a better job might become easier.

Every day I go to work I learn something new. Due to of this I'm in a some for of rush. If I get home I can easily pick up my iPad (not as heavy as regular books ) and start studying again. Using my marker in my application to highlight the important parts I can always browse to my books again. Oh I also use a marker when using regular books. It works for me but writing down the important parts works for a lot of people.

However IMHO everything comes down to motivation.
                      Personally I'm one of those guys who want to know everything. In my "fantasy" I'm CCIE, VCDX, MCM and so on. Although everything lies quit far in front of me I'm motivated enough to reach at least on of them before I go with pension. Right now I'm 31 so I still have 36 years to go. It should be possible at least I'm motivated enough to reach at least one of them....
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                      X