MCITP Not Really Recognised

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCITP Not Really Recognised

When I started my certification journey I was excitied to have gone down the MCITP route, thought that having the most upto date certs would show potential employers my commitment to keeping upto date with the latest technology.

This year I have gained 2 MCITP certs, Server Administrator and Enterprose Desktop Administrator 7....great right?!
    Maybe not though, I have had a couple of interviews now and when I mention MCTS and MCITP they look at me like I have be let loose from some funny farm. I then spend 10 minutes of my life educating the interviewer on what these certs are all about. Whats even more surprising these have been interviews with multi national companies who pride themselves in offering customers the very latest technologies and certified staff

Has anyone else experienced this? or is it just a welsh thing

I am now tempted to hammer out some server 2003 exams and maybe get an MCSA.
    Mark Couch
    A+, MCTS, MCITP(SA, EDA7)
    South Wales, UK.

Re: MCITP Not Really Recognised

No, its a general thing, to the point where I talk about "MCSE (or A) in Server 2008" and "MCDST in Windows 7"

You wonder why MS couldnt have stuck with the same set of names
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I noticed the same over here...
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Looks like I will aim for at least MCSA over the next couple of months then, shouldn't be to hard to get. Just need to pass 70-290 and 70-291 and one elective.

My Transcript is going to look a bit odd though
        Mark Couch
        South Wales, UK.

Comment

Hey Couch

Im a fellow welshie, but from north wales lol

Yeah, ive noticed the same, which is the main reason i got my MCSE out of the way over the past 2 months.

IMHO, the mcse is still worth alot more then any new certs, so MCSA/MCSE is still the way forward. However, the MCITP etc will have there place, and i also think very soon, alot of firms are upgradeing to 2008 etc at the moment, so once this transistion starts to happen, the certs should start to show there value.

Although, MS should never of abondoned the MCSE route.

As for transcript, just explain it how it is, that you did the new certs first, but found the older ones hold better value at the moment
          Shadow2k - MCP, MCSA, MCSA:Security, MCSE, MCSE:Security, MCTSx8, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA, MCITP:EDA, MCITP:VA, MCITP:EDST

Comment

You from the darkside Shadow2k.....lol!

Got myself the 70-290 and 70-291 Microsoft guides in my hand, heres to another couple of weeks reading Tidy!
            Mark Couch
            South Wales, UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Couch View Post
              You from the darkside Shadow2k.....lol!

Got myself the 70-290 and 70-291 Microsoft guides in my hand, heres to another couple of weeks reading Tidy!
              It was hard work, but its archivable (although i have worked in IT for 10 yrs with the most of that on servers)

Good luck with it all mate im sure youll get there
              Shadow2k - MCP, MCSA, MCSA:Security, MCSE, MCSE:Security, MCTSx8, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA, MCITP:EDA, MCITP:VA, MCITP:EDST

Comment

If these certifications help keep you motiviated in learning, then keep it up.

IMHO, as an IT Manager and also an Instructor (10 years during the MCSE craze), my experience has been that most people can obtain these certifications without too much difficulty (no thanks to the brain dumps and exam preps). It has devaluated the certification to some extent. On the flip side (opposite to what you experienced), I have interviewed many people over the years and have been floored by people coming in with certifications and cant even answer basic interview questions.

So, if you want your certs to be worth something....really earn them through reading, studying, and spending countless hours in lab!

Good luck in your future endeavors!
                JM @ IT Training & Consulting
                http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Don't you hate that. It probably took a decade for companies to understand and recognize the original MS certifications (MCP, MCSE, etc) and now it will probably take another decade to understand and recognize the new certifications.

Comment

Agree 100%, ive seen many fully certified engineers come and go, without a clue, but on the other hand, work with a bunch of of peeps who are certified, who have a good understanding on what there certfied in. Suppose it helps if the company your working for promotes it all.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                      Don't you hate that. It probably took a decade for companies to understand and recognize the original MS certifications (MCP, MCSE, etc) and now it will probably take another decade to understand and recognize the new certifications.
                      This is going to be problem over the next few years, its a shame MS wotn rethink about creating an MCSE:2008, however they have made there minds up and it isnt going to change.

Although, for all those doing the certs, its still worth doing the MCSE if you have the time etc. I also think its good to have an understanding of the older products on the market as svr 2003 is going to be around for a little while more

Comment

I agree that people still want MCSE and not MCITP.

However, I live in a province where professional engineers have the protected right to use the term engineers in their titles. Microsoft here had to stop using that word, so for a few years, we were allowed to use the MCSE logo but not print the definition of the acronym !

I'm sure situations like that all over the world must've been a big reason why they had to think of a new name.
                        VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

That's a shame. I'm currently working for MCITP:EA and it does seem that MCSE gets more recognition than the later certs.
                          Don't really want to go through with the MCSE though. There is a TON of studying involved there seeing that the question pool is now in the thousands.

Comment

I believe MS changed the wording because of a dispute with the IEEE who essentially claimed that MSCE's were not by definition "Engineers" but rather technicians. This apparently was the reason for the name change to Microsoft Certified IT Professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by gepeto View Post
                              I agree that people still want MCSE and not MCITP.

However, I live in a province where professional engineers have the protected right to use the term engineers in their titles. Microsoft here had to stop using that word, so for a few years, we were allowed to use the MCSE logo but not print the definition of the acronym !

I'm sure situations like that all over the world must've been a big reason why they had to think of a new name.

I am sorry, but I do believe that if someone can create/design a network, assemble a computer lab/server room/office layout, Design/create and invent software, mapout hardware that they are engineers.

MCSE is so much more then it was 5 years ago, you now have a factor of 4 more questions, so you have to spend 16 times the study to make sure you cover all the knowledge. They say you should give about 2-3 years for a MCSE (I know people that have done them in a week, but they could also have gone to a UNI and gotten a degree by RPL), and thats the same time as Uni, plus your working during that time as well, so you learn more, if anything.

MCSE was fine, as they are engineers for all intents.

Here is a nice quote for you to think about, and ask yourself, does this descrip what a IT admin has to do?

Engineers design materials, structures, machines and systems while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, safety and cost.[1][2] The word engineer is derived from the Latin root ingenium, meaning "cleverness".
                              Wofen
                              Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
                              X