Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can MSCE be faked?

Hello,
    I am a CIO and in recent interviews, I have come across some cases which start to worry me. I had over the last months several candidates with a MSCE which were not able to answer very simple technical questions. What I wonder is if the questions asked in those certification tests are always the same and if a person that would like to cheat could do so by learning all the questions by heart?
    Am I the only person experiencing this and was it only bad luck or is there more behind?
    Any feedback welcome.
    Thank you,
    Claude

Re: Can MSCE be faked?

I belive the term is paper MSCE's (people who just read the books and do as many example question papers as possible) without actually really using the products.
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Did these people say they were MCSEs or were they able to supply documentation to show they had the qualification? Were they MCSE on NT 4.0, Windows 2000 or Windows 2003?
      Just curious, what was one of the questions they couldn't answer.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I had quite a number of them in the last 12 months and they were MCSE on Windows 2000/2003 or XP. They produced copies of their certificates.
        Here some of the questions asked:
        what is pxe?
        what protocol is used for downloading the virtual floppy disk from pxe server?
        where do you specify the NIC speed in the virtual floppy?
        command used to investigate what user is logged on to a specific PC knowing the IP address?
        what is wol?
        How can you force sysprep to auto-generate a unique computer name?
        how many IP addresses are available for hosts in the subnet 100.10.10.0/23 - 100.10.100.0/255.255.254.0
        when is a roaming profile being created for a new user (logoff or logon)?
        how do you remove inheritance in NFTS?
        (any others...)

Comment

hmmm i can't also reply to al..
          some i can, others i cant.... so what is a virtual floppy??

never heard about it...
          but hey, i'm still nog an mcse
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

the problem is that those candidates couldnt answer ANY of those questions...

Comment

Originally posted by croeltgen
              the problem is that those candidates couldnt answer ANY of those questions...
              RIS is not something which is mentioned in the 70-290 exam so unless they have actually done it then they might not know it. I know it was present in the win2k exams but not win2k3.

Also the company that they currently work for may have alternative methods i.e. SMS or some other form of ghost application

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk
              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

> the problem is that those candidates couldnt answer ANY of those questions...

Heheh! Agreed, a definite nono. For what it's worth: the way to check MCSE credentials is to have the candidate produce a code to read their MCP transcript on the MS site. That cannot be faked.

> command used to investigate what user is logged on to a specific PC knowing the IP address?

No idea. How?

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber
                  hmmm i can't also reply to al..
                  some i can, others i cant.... so what is a virtual floppy??

never heard about it...
                  but hey, i'm still nog an mcse
                  Marcel, virtual floppy, TrainSignal, Lab 15. Enjoy.

Croeltgen, I can answer 6, 2 others I can look up. When do you want me to start.

Another curious question if I may. What sort of experience were these "gurus" claiming to have?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

command used to investigate what user is logged on to a specific PC knowing the IP address?
                    Answer is #nbtstat -A IP-host (note that I am the CIO and not the expert )

From memory those guys were MS 'experts' of all kinds, like VB for Applications, MS-Access and similar. Would have to go to our archives to check all those cv again

To come back to my initial question: is there a set of questions that repeats itself all the time? If so, learning by heart would explain it

Comment

Originally posted by croeltgen
                      Answer is #nbtstat -A IP-host (note that I am the CIO and not the expert )

From memory those guys were MS 'experts' of all kinds, like VB for Applications, MS-Access and similar. Would have to go to our archives to check all those cv again

To come back to my initial question: is there a set of questions that repeats itself all the time? If so, learning by heart would explain it
                      If you view enough example questions then you can. Alot of questions have the same answers with different scenarios
                      Michael Armstrong
                      www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

I can answer most of those and I'm an MCSE. The problem with any cert is that you can't know everything about the subject. The cert just like any education attempts to ensure that you're well rounded with relation to the topic. I think the bigger problem is that many people choose to learn merely to pass a test instead of learning to use it. You see this a lot at Universities everyday, don't blame the cert blame the people who are the problem (they might be lying too). Also time plays a part, I can personally attest to this, I used Windows NT everyday for years. I am an NT MCSE but there are many things I can't remember with regard to NT because its been years since I used to day-to-day.

Just my 2 cents,

Unfortunately paper MCSEs abound.

Virtual Floppy Disc:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...f_overview.asp
                        Last edited by ahinson; 26th September 2005, 14:59.
                        Andrew

Comment

i could answer 1,4,6(if i had some scratch paper and some time), and 8. i'm MCSE 2000. of course i'm not the best on interview and might not get alot of them just from being nervious. that being said their are plenty of paper mcse's around and plenty of brain dump sites around. if you wanted you could certanly memorize the questions and the answers to get your cert, and their are plenty of people who do. The thing i would take into consideration in your case in previous job experience thats probably gonna tell you more then the cert. and if they got the one about removing NTFS inheratance wrong i wouldn't hire them.
                          MCSE 2000\2003, A+
                          00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

Not being picky but the NBTSTAT command doesn't identify the user. It identifies the PC.

NBTSTAT -A
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                              Not being picky but the NBTSTAT command doesn't identify the user. It identifies the PC.

NBTSTAT -A
                              The command will only help in case that the destination PC is still running the Messenger service, which is disabled by default on Windows Server 2003 and XP SP1 (if I remember correctly, it could be SP2). This service should be disabled unless using it for some sort of internal messeging scripts.

As for the questions - nice ones, although I must say they should only be a fraction of what you need to ask the candidate. And even so, remember that no one can answer all questions, no matter how easy they seem to you, and others might even know the answers but not have the experience to actually do the tasks required.
                              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                              X