MCSA to MCITP:SA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSA to MCITP:SA

I have been studying extensively over the past 6-7 months to pass 646 and 648 to upgrade my MCSA to MCITP on Server 2008. I feel comfortable on both tests that I could go today and pass both of them, one right after the other, if need be right now. I have used the MS Press Books, Train Signal, and a home lab to get up to speed.

However, I found out recently that my closest testing center is 2 hours away for Microsoft exams, when it used to be 20 minutes. Not wanting to make the drive twice; I thought about driving down one day, taking the 646 exam, spend the night with family, and taking the next 648 exam the following day.

Has anyone else had experience with taking tests very close together? More specifically, MS exams?
    Last edited by boondock; 9th June 2010, 14:41.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: MCSA to MCITP:SA

Done two in a day a few times, sometimes planned, sometimes accidentally
    Basically, its your call -- if you feel OK about it, go for it
    Good thing is both exams are very similar
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by boondock View Post
      Has anyone else had experience with taking tests very close together? More specifically, MS exams?
      Yes, but not that close.

I took 70-236 (Exchange 2k7) on a wednesday (after failing two times before) and 70-620 (Vista) on friday and passed both tests.

Because I was almost running out of sync with my classroom courses I had to take the 2 exams in a week.

Anyway, good luck with your exams!
      MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
      A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Did you end up taking your exams ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          Did you end up taking your exams ?
          Not yet, I am having to work around my work schedule since my company is not exactly certification friendly.

Right now, it looks like mid-July as that's the first time that I will be able to get away for the 2 days to take the exams.

Comment

pull a sick day ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I think it's a shame that there are bosses and companies out there who don't recognise the value of a certification. Even if the company doesn't fund or subsidise it (which many will, if you ask nicely).

On the other hand, if you pull a sickie, you then lose out on the bottle of wine you get for not pulling any sickies. If I'm going to be contagious, I'm going to be contagious on company time.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I have always tended to take two a day. Make sure you have plenty of fluid and also chocolate for energy. Providing you are well prepared, you shouldn't find it too stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                  pull a sick day ?

Not a bad idea actually, but if I pull a single sick day, I am required to get a full doctor's note since I work in a healthcare environment.

Since, I work with the majority of doctors in my area, it's going to be hard to get a fake sick note.

I think I could actually pull this cert in one day, but I don't want to risk my brain exploding. However, since the material is very similar across both tests I could do it as long as I have cold beer and hot wings waiting for me after the exam.

Comment

Well...I'm done.

I went last Thursday and Friday to take the 2 exams.

I made an 804 on 70-646 and a 793 on 70-648.

I'm MCITP:SA! Now...onto my CCNA renewal!

Comment

Congrats!
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

well done!
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well done.

So did you have the cold beer and wings waiting for you then???

Comment

Congrats.
                            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Congrats man, now it's time to move on to a forward thinking organization.

Why oh why companies do that I have no idea.

Good staff leave
                              Bad staff stay

Ste

Steven Roberts
                              IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Working...
                              X