Next Step

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Step

I'm an MCSE and MCSA on Windows 2000. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get these upgraded to 2003 before the upgrade exams were discontinued, as I was a poor student with no time.

Anyway, i'm now back in a good job, and want to get my certs back up to date. Would you suggest going the 2003 MCSE route, and doing them all again, or going for the newer MCITP route? I'm wanting to get some Exchange certs in there as well, which is why i'm more tempted to go the MCITP route, but wanted to get your opinions.

Re: Next Step

IMO, it all depends on your job's environment and the general job market where you live (or want to live). Server 2003 is still big in the datacenter... but of course it's getting smaller as time goes on. Server 2008 has matured and is a powerful force. I, for one, am standardizing on 2008 R2 for all new deployments.

Same goes with Exchange. 2003 is still big... really big, in fact. 2007 ws too big of a jump for most people (plus the economy was performing poorly when people had to make the decision to upgrade their hardware to accommodate 2007). That's a different story now. the MCITP:EMA might be just what you're looking for. Then again... maybe not.

So what is your current environment working with? What will it be working with a year from now? Do you know what other places in your area are using? The answer to those questions will help greatly.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

As Nonapeptide says it really does depend on your environment. I'm just finishing my MCSE 2003 now and will be upgrading after that. Obviously any new deployments we do are 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010 but we have customers running Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 who won't be upgrading for a good while yet.

Number of exams is also a factor, it's 7 exams for MCSE 2003 (Although some of your 2000 exams may well apply) against 5 for MCITP: EA, although there is no elective requirement in the MCITP so Exchange exams are seperate. Dunno if there is an Exchange 2010 exam yet either.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Exchange 2010 exams - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...aspx?id=70-662
        http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...aspx?id=70-663
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Another one to add to the list then.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment