Certification and salary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certification and salary

I was wondering what is a reasonable request in terms of a raise after you have completed the MCITP:EA and SA certifications? I'm currently going for both and I hope to be done by early next year or late this year. I want to make sure when it comes time for my review in January I have a good idea whats a fair increase to ask for.My company generally gives 5% increases yearly without any certs so what would be a fair request? 15 % ? 20%? ...
    MCITP: EA

MCITP: SA

Re: Certification and salary

What is this word "raise"? I know not of what you speak

Seriously, go for what you can, but in the "current economic climate" I think you're damn lucky to get anything
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yeah I know it has been bad all year for alot of workers and companies.My company had a freeze on raises and hiring all year! I'm hoping the new year will bring a better situation. I know I'll be lucky to get a raise but I do hope to be rewarded for the hard work it takes to achieve certification. 6 microsoft tests isn't a walk in the park lol. Well thanks for the reply and hopefully me and everyone else on this wonderful forum can see better fortune in the near future

Comment

What is this word "salary"? I know not of what you speak.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

We don't get anything when getting certified.... And I did 13 exams in about 6 months...
          Some companies do but usually a single bonus...
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I don't directly get a raise, however, it is usually one of the things I get evaluated on. So it improves my score from which the raise is calculated.

It has very little impact except when you actually change jobs usually.
            VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
              We don't get anything when getting certified.... And I did 13 exams in about 6 months...
              Some companies do but usually a single bonus...
              My hats off to you for that. there is no way I could pull off 13 exams in 6 months wow !

Forgive me if I'm wrong but wouldn't getting certified justify getting a nice raise when it comes time for your annual review.I know that actually going through all the hard work to get certified is rewarding in itself but I would think that it would also help an employee get a raise. I don't make great money now so I was hoping certifications would help boost my knowledge and salary .

Comment

Originally posted by gepeto View Post
                I don't directly get a raise, however, it is usually one of the things I get evaluated on. So it improves my score from which the raise is calculated.

It has very little impact except when you actually change jobs usually.
                This.

I got my CCNA about 2 years ago, I got a pat on the back, hand shake, and a "good job". No raise, no bonus. I don't even get my test or materials paid for.

I have gotten multiple certs over the past few years. I believe I had one boss give me a $25 bonus check for obtaining my MCP a few years back, but that's it.

I am able to pull those out of the hat for my annual evaluation as continuing education, which directly leads to my percentage raise I get each year.

Certs are everything when you are looking to get hired, as it can show a employer that you have knowledge in a perspective field. However, once you are hired certs are pointless.
                MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

From my point of view there is value in the certs, as I work for an IT Support company, so it's attractive to customers (current and potential) that the engineers are qualified.

I don't know how much of a raise is to be expected though, in my case my exams were paid for and I did most of the work during quiet periods in the office. It's looked on as "of benefit to the company and the employee" where I work.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Unless your job changes, chances are you won't get squat. Why? The job didn't change, right? If you could do the job before the certs, then the certs wouldn't change that.
                    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I see what you guys are saying. I'm hoping to be able to move to a higher tier in my company. Right now I do more of a Junior systems adminstrator role and I hope to be able to to move up to a more server side role.So I hope to go from Tier 2 to Tier 3 in my company. I have considered moving to Florida next year so if I see a great opportunity there then I might jump on that.

Comment

Heh, I'm considering doing the opposite, moving out of Florida. Seeing too many over specialized jobs and too many low paying desktop support jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                          Heh, I'm considering doing the opposite, moving out of Florida. Seeing too many over specialized jobs and too many low paying desktop support jobs.
                          Really its that bad ? man that sucks! I moved from Orlando to Houston about 4 years ago and I have been able to get more IT experience here but I don't like it here.I really wanted to move back to FL even if its not Orlando.

Comment

I think MCITPs get paid less once they pass the cert.

Comment

In my experience it's a rare occasion when someone moves up within the IT department due to hard work, certifications, dedication, yada yada yada.

Moving up usually means moving on and out.

It's too bad that more companies don't take the attitude that cruachan's company does: that education and training are mutually beneficial.

Comment

Working...
                              X