• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inside scoop on beta exams ?

so now and then I hear about beta exams and my questions are thus:

- are they invite only ?
    - how do you find out/get invited ?
    - is the cost the same ?
    - do they count for the same credit, ie a 70-642 exam and a 70-642-Beta the same credit ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: inside scoop on beta exams ?

As far as I know they are invite only, and you do get credit for the full exam once it's out of beta. Not sure about cost as I've never sat one, and the invite scheme is pretty inconsistent, because I've been invited for a few in the past but not any recently such as the Windows 7 exam. Some appear on MS or Prometric websites only though.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

any ideas on what you did to get invited ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

As I recall it was not long after I sat my first exam (70-270, way back in late '05) and after I passed and registered for the MCP member site I got an email (I think from Prometric) about an SQL beta exam. Didn't pay too much attention as I'm not a SQL guy. I definitely don't remember asking to be notified of beta exams, or even having the option.

I do recall a thread recently about the Win7 beta exam, which I think was web registration only.

Edit:
        Check here. Seems you need to register for the MCP Flash and invitees are "selected" by Microsoft.
        Last edited by cruachan; 8th October 2009, 10:14.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          - are they invite only ?
          Yes. Maybe. I didn't get an invite for the Windows 7 betas, but found out that they were in the Prometric list of exams along with all the rest and wondered if they were public. It was too late at that point to try to sign up though since the eligibility date had expired.
          My understanding is that they have to be related to a previous exam that you've taken. For instance, I had take the MCDST exams and two years later got invited to the beta exam for Vista support desk printer jockey... or whatever it's called. Of course, I've never been invited to take any .NET exams because that's not something I've done in the past. I also got invites for server 2008 exams that roughly mapped to the server 2003 exams I had already taken.
          - is the cost the same ?
          They're free as the wind, baby!!
          - do they count for the same credit, ie a 70-642 exam and a 70-642-Beta the same credit ?
          You'd better believe it. However, test results take about 6 weeks to come to you in the mail.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

so now and then I hear about beta exams and my questions are thus:

- are they invite only ?
            - is the cost the same ?
            For Asia PAcific region, Microsoft send out notice via MCP monthly newsletter.
            They have certain quota's for specific countries from which candidates can apear for BETA exams.

Check MCP newsletters for Australia & nZ region. Microsoft is now distributed region wise for such learning related things. Atleast in APAC region. Earlier in late 2002 I used to receive paper cert all the way from Redmond, now I get it from their Singapore center.

Regards,
            AmeY.
            All in 1
            Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

maybe i should start getting sent that newsletter then.. thanks

Comment

Working...
              X