Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howto study

Hello,

I am finding studying very hard at the moment, i am currently trying for the MCSE XP/2k3 server path here is how i do it.

1. using MS press i read cross referencing the erratas published by microsoft.

2. If there is a topic during the lesson that is unclear i search on the internet.

3. As i study i take notes, memorise apply using the operating system via vmware.

Has anyone discovered a problem with my strategy, how do others within the forum study.

Any suggests is really appreciated, i have been trying to study the 70-270 exam for well over 1 year. Maybe im not sticking to a criteria.
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Re: howto study

I'm moving this to the MS cert forum for more focussed response, but as a former teacher, I have to say everyone has their own effective method

Yours seems good -- a combination of learning and experience. The only thing I would add is practice tests as you near the exam
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

maybe i am overdoing it with the memorizing, there have been instances where i am memorizing the properties of the some property tabs.

Im one of these people that doesnt find satisfaction of doing tests before learning the content.

I know of people studying the questions and answers which i dont agree with as this is cheating.

Maybe i need to restructure the way that i do things, i need to review.

Thanks for your assitance

Comment

personally _i find that hands on practical experience, in an everyday operational environment is one of the best ways i can learn.

i find out so much stuff i just wouldn't find in a book anywhere, and then things start to become like a jigsaw in my brain, and fall into place.

while the ms prss books in conjunction with maybe some exam preps, and doing the practice exrecises in the book is fantastic, it's not all you need, at least not in my mind.

i've also found i can't go sit a 5 day course and pass the exam - i haven't learnt enough unless i've had hands on experience.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Satisfaction from practice tests is one thing, however in my experience it is important to get into what I call the "microsoft frame of mind" before sitting an exam. This basically means that, again in my experience, there are lots of real world scenarios that you would apply a solution to, which have a different answer in the context of a Microsoft exam.

My favourite example of this is from the Windows XP course. The Microsoft answer to many situations involving a failure to boot is to use Last Known Good Configuration. However neither I, nor anyone I have ever worked with, has successfully used Last Known Good in the real world.

I also found around a year ago when I did my first exam for a few years that I failed it because I wasn't in the mindset. Having done a few exams since I've found them much easier to get through.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            My favourite example of this is from the Windows XP course. The Microsoft answer to many situations involving a failure to boot is to use Last Known Good Configuration. However neither I, nor anyone I have ever worked with, has successfully used Last Known Good in the real world.
            Same with System Restore Points. Those things are a last ditch effort to get a computer working again so you can easily recover information just before wiping it clean and starting over.

salv236, if studying is so hard right now, you may just need a break. I've had times where I could not get one more bit of information into my brain. Even reading the most basic sentence from a study book was painful. That's a sign of burnout and that means you need to walk away for a few days or a week. Just go fishing, dust off your roller skates, go to the movies or whatever you like to do. Leave the computers books alone for a while and I'm sure you'll come back refreshed and ready to absorb more information than ever before.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Hello Nonapeptide,

Thanks for your advice, i have had instances of reading a sentence/paragraph and finding it real hard to absorb. Also i think that i don't need to memorize everything i.e. configuring display settings or remember each individual advanced setting in internet explorer and knowing what that feature does.

Moreover, i have been spending whole days studying and not doing anything else, i believe its a question of finding the right balance between study and leisure.

Ive took a break of about 1 month i will have to review what i did learn and hopefully i will find with the right balance that things will get a lot easier.

Thanks again for your advice and i will keep you posted.

Salv236

Comment

FWIW, set yourself short term goals e.g.
                Do
                study for an hour on DNS
                have a
                While > 0
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Guess i have been setting goals that are too high and getting disappointed in not meeting my objectives.

In your opinion how many hours per day should one study for?

And thanks again for the advice

Best Regards

Salv236

Comment

hai this is Nizam..

u study only morning times,,

Comment

Once again, it comes down to what suits YOU
                      Personally I am an early bird, so my best study or work time is about 0630 - 1030, then I head downhill
                      I am in favour of small, regular doses, but others can concentrate for much longer
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by salv236 View Post
                        In your opinion how many hours per day should one study for?
                        That depends on your current marital status, your desired marital status, employment status and your brain's personal capacity. For me, I think 3 hours a day of study is decent when going for a certification. I can study from 7:30 to 10:30 in the evenings after work. I've noticed that some days I can keep in a subject for hours on end while most days I can only take 45 minutes at a time before I need a five minute break before coming back for another 45 minutes.

The whole topic of information assimilation is interesting to me. In essence, you need to learn how you learn. Get to know yourself, your brain, your limits, etc. and etc. I think it would be beneficial to pick of courses on how to learn. Seems like a funny thing to do... learning to learn, but we all do it without knowing it. If you can deliberately learn how to learn then you'll have an advantage that most people on earth don't. Read Lewis Carroll's "How to Learn" short essay. After a while of reading and learning about learning you'll see more common threads and begin to understand what works for you. It's a fascinating study.

Or maybe I'm just weird.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        -------------------------------
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                        X