What to take next after 70-290

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to take next after 70-290

I just passed 70-290 so now am wondering which test I should take next. I'm planning on getting my MCSE but I should probably get the MCSA as well just to add some flourish to my resume.

Re: What to take next after 70-290

Congrats.

You can order the MCSE exams so that you get MCSA on the way, as I've done myself. What exams have you sat so far apart from 70-290? For MCSA you need:-

70-290
    70-291
    One of 70-270 or 70-620 (or 70-210, now retired)
    Plus an elective.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Congrats.
      Thanks

70-290 was my first MS exam. N+ is the only other cert I have. I got a new job recently and they are paying for all my exams as long as I pass. I figured I'd make the most of it and get as many certs as I can

Sounds like 70-291 is the next choice then.

Comment

I would get your client OS exam done first -- 70-270 for XP or 70-620 for Vista
        In general the 291 is the hardest MCSA exam and worth putting off a little bit

What elective are you going for?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I second what Ossian said - 70-291 is a toughie. The main reason for this is that the primary focus of it is DNS, DHCP and the fundamentals of Windows Routing and Networking. These are pretty straightforward once you've got your head round them, but of all the MS exams this is the one that really requires experience. Took me 2 attempts (4 years apart!) to pass 291, my first attempt was straight after 290 when I had almost no experience and I struggled badly with all the DNS questions.

As you have N+ you also have the option of using CompTIA exams as your elective. I can't remember the combinations, but you'll be able to find out on the MCP member site.
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Maybe I'll hold off on 70-291 but I was looking over the requirements and felt confident except for some RRAS and DNS specifics. For 70-290 I used MCSA/MCSE 70-290 Exam Cram 2nd Edition written in 2007 plus TechNet articles. I got a 900 so was thinking of using the 70-291 Exam Cram but it's written in 2006 so would that be too dated?

For the client exam it looks like 70-620 Vista is the most advantageous because it will earn a MCTS Vista and counts towards several MCITP. I guess I'll study to take that next.

I did some research on the MS cert site and think I'll go for MCSA Security Specialization so looks like 70-299 Implementing & Administering Security in Server 2003 is my first elective. I'll probably get the Security+ because it looks like that will count as the 2nd security elective credit.

Comment

Honestly, dont bother with Sec+ (IMHO) -- just search this forum for opinions of it
              You will need a design exam for MCSE so look at the security design exam as another security credit
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Personally I found that the 70-291 wasn't as hard as the good old 70-216
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
                  Honestly, dont bother with Sec+ (IMHO) -- just search this forum for opinions of it
                  You will need a design exam for MCSE so look at the security design exam as another security credit
                  According to MS, 70-298 doesn't count towards MCSA. I was going to go with Sec+ because the only other two electives for the MSCA Security are ISA 2004/2006 and I don't have access to either. The only time I've used it was a few years ago in school for a couple weeks so that doesn't amount to much. I'm more a hands on learner but I guess reading some books and taking practice tests would be enough to pass...

Originally posted by Dumber
                  Personally I found that the 70-291 wasn't as hard as the good old 70-216
                  I suppose that's a good thing for me although shouldn't MS make the tests at least the same difficulty

Comment

Originally posted by aquadodo View Post

I suppose that's a good thing for me although shouldn't MS make the tests at least the same difficulty
                    Which, really hard or rediculously easy?

Congratulations on your pass and all the best for the furture ones.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by aquadodo View Post
                      Well most people found that the 70-291 is way harder then 70-216.
                      However I've quite a lot of experience in DNS, routing (a bit of rras actually ), subnetting, DHCP etc..
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Sorry for the late reply: I just got back from vacation and am slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Originally posted by biggles77
                        Which, really hard or rediculously easy?
                        Congratulations on your pass and all the best for the furture ones.
                        Thanks As a professional I would say really hard to weed out the people who have no working knowledge, only book smarts. I've seen lots of resumes that look good but when placed in a real world setting are completely lost. On the other hand, who doesn't like things easy?

Thanks for everyone's input but I think I'm just going to take the plunge and go for 70-291 (especially since my company pays for the test). Does anyone know if there are IPv6 questions?

Comment

IPv6 is not in the syllabus so you should be OK
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

I sat it not that long ago, no IPv6. As Ossian said it's not in the syllabus, it's in the 2008 exams and at the moment is confusing the hell out of me.
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

That should make things easier as IPv6 is confusing after using IPv4 for so long. I scheduled the 70-291 for Oct 16th so I figure that should give me plenty of time to study. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X