Cert Listing for Resume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cert Listing for Resume

How does everyone have their certs listed on their resume? I have a section called "Professional Profile" and I have listed Microsoft Certified Professional in Windows Server 2003. I took and passed 70-290 and today I passed 70-270. Do I put MCP in Windows XP? I want people to see that I have certs in both XP and Server until I get MCSA then I can just list MCSA. But by definition MCP is passing one cert test...I dont want people to think I only passed one. So any suggestions would be great. Also how do people feel about the MCP logo on your resume? Some say yes, others say no.

Thanks.

Re: Cert Listing for Resume

Before I got my MCSA I listed my MCP credentials and listed each exam separately. Even though you technically earn your MCP only once, you can earn it with any one of a number of different exams. So my resume looked something like this:

Microsoft Certified Professional - Windows 2000 Server
    Microsoft Certified Professional - Windows 2000 Professional
    Microsoft Certified Professional - Windows 95

etc., etc. This seemed to really impress people as I had 7 or 8 different exams listed (not the right combination of exams for the MCSA or MCSE).

Now I list it simply as:

MCSA
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 22nd August 2009, 01:49.

Comment

What I've always done is tailor my CV to the job I'm applying for. I've got a one page version and a two page version depending on job description and requirements.

I've had the MCP logo in my CV for as long as I've been qualified, given that most CVs only get glanced at initially and straight out binned if they don't meet the basic criteria I think it makes sense to include the logo. This is especially true if the job specifies an MCP is required.

I also included which MCPs I had passed and stated that I was studying towards MCSE. It's best IMO to let employers know what you are qualified in, E.g. if you apply for a desktop support role but are also qualified in Server 2K3 that may well give you the edge over another candidate.

Congrats on passing 290 BTW.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

What catagory do you put this under in your Resume? I have it under professional profile....does that make sense?

Comment

I have it listed in a separate section at the bottom titled Education and Certification.

I list my qualifications and experience first, followed by my job history, and finally by my certs and degree.

Comment

I also have a section called Professional Profile, which gets moved up or down depending on the job I'm applying for. If the description specifies certs then it's near the top, if it focuses more on experience then job history is first and then it's the certs later.

I haven't updated my CV since I got my MCSA this week, I think I'd probably just list that and my MCTS now rather than a comprehensive list.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X