No announcement yet.

mcse or mctip

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcse or mctip

hey guys,

im confused on what i should be going for mcse or mctip.

a little background. the company i work for uses server 2003 for their AD, terminal servers, blackberry servers but uses server 2008 for exchange 2007

we are on NDS at the moment for file system but are looking to go to full AD

im not the administrator but i work directly under him and do, do alot of day to day admin

ive implemented the term services for about 800 users + a wsus server

hope i have given enough background info

thanks guys

Re: mcse or mctip

Do you have any certifications already that would count to one or the other?
    Do you plan to be on the job market soon? (if so, employers understand MCSE but not MCITP yet)
    Do you feel the 2003 or 2008 side is most important for your work?

Basically, its your call, but search this forum for a fairly recent discussion on the merits of the two -- I don't think anyone came to a firm conclusion

Good luck, anyway!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I would go for the MCSE initially and then an upgrade course to MCITP. Your main admin sounds as if it will be Exchange 2007 and Windows 2003 Server.
      Last edited by Virtual; 18th August 2009, 23:58. Reason: MSCE changed to MCSE

Wondered why you had done all the faces for a while and then realised. I must slow down my typing rate.

A Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology does sound rather interesting even if it isn't exactly related to IT.

Krayzie, I'll be a "me too!" in this thread. Get your MCSE first and then go on to the MCITP. Of course, this is told to you by someone who got his MCSE a few weeks ago and is currently studying for his final exam in the MCITP:EA (scheduled tentatively for Sept 5th ). You may also be interested in getting the MCITP:Enterprise Messaging Admin cert. Three exams on Exchange 2007 and you've got the paper!
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

thanks guys
              Ossian : i definatly feel 2003 is the bulk of my work - but i know when we cut over from novell FS we will probably go server 2008

i dont want to be in the job market, i want to do it for myself primarily to give me more skills in ,my current job to be able to improve the current systems we have and be able to maintain them more efficeiently and to basically verify why i am in my job

Garen i dont understand the smillies either lol

i definatly want to get the exchange cert too

but thanks for your help guys..

This forum has a 10 character requirement, I spamed the smilies to make my post longer.
                Last edited by Garen; 19th August 2009, 17:24.