Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

as a beginner which MCSE course shall i take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as a beginner which MCSE course shall i take?

Hello, guys how are you doing?

i learned in private school network administrator and i am studying MCSE 70-293 AND 70-294 to be MCSE certified. but i don't know how to begin? i live in KSA and i could not find a good school for MCSE training. is there any shool available for MCSE taining online? how should i prepare for MCSE training test just by reading and watching vedios? is it possible to do this? as a beginner for MCSE certification, whcih course you choose for me? how can i say myself i am network administrator with out having real certification test? i don't know what to do.
    so, please guys help me what to do and were to start?

thank you very much

God bless you

Re: as a beginner which MCSE course shall i take?

What exams do you have already?
    Most people start with:
    Client OS (70-270 or 70-620)
    Server OS (70-290)
    Then move on as appropriate

Regarding "real network administrators", check other posts in this particular forum and you will see most of us agree that experience is worth far more than paper qualifications
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by danyee View Post
      how should i prepare for MCSE training test just by reading and watching vedios? is it possible to do this?
      A lot of people do it this way (I'm one of them). I read MS Press books and take Measure Up and Transcender practice exams. For more real world information I follow blogs, hang out on forums (like this one! ), go to some IT related meetings and etc.. The best training, of course, is actually working on the technology. Do you have a job in IT?

how can i say myself i am network administrator with out having real certification test? i don't know what to do.
      Calling yourself a "network administrator" is way more than just holding a certification. A lot of people that are amazing admins don't have a single certification. How you get to be called a network administrator is after having worked in that position.

so, please guys help me what to do and were to start?
      One thing that, in my opinion, is underrated is that practice of choosing a project that you'd like to work on in your spare time and then building it. For example, decide that you want to run a web server and look into building it using IIS and Windows server. That might not work out too well depending on if your ISP blocks incoming port 80 traffic, but that too would be part of the learning project. Just pick something that you'd like to learn more about and then build it from the ground up. It's quite an amazing learning experience.

Keep up the good work! You'll be a network admin before you know it.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Yes, Sir
        I am working as an IT in small company and you know how i got this job is, I meet the manager and told him I am a network administrator and he gave me a simple test how to join a computer under domain of the server then he asked me my CV and I gave him and told him that I learned in private school then he accepted that means he was a good man at least he gave an opportunity. Then I learned about database, how to work with group policy, how to control users with GPO. - How to create OU and how to deploy software using GPO and also I am familiar with SQL server 2000 and 2005....Etc
        Right now, a new manager came and saw my CV then says "even though you are working well, your CV is not accepted and you should to make a certificate online" I think one day he will fire me. This is way I am confused and scared. Right now, the question is what kind of course shall I take? I am working both with networking and database.

Please guys I really need help

Thank you very much
        Last edited by danyee; 23rd June 2009, 10:05.

Comment

Personally, I did classroom training for MCSE and self taught myself MCITP. In your case, I would recommend starting with 70-290, 70-291, 70-292, 70-293, 70-294. Then take the OS exam relevant to your environment, an elective exam relevant to your environment, maybe Exchange and then leave the design one, 70-297, till the end. You need an overall knowledge before that one.

I did mine in the above order and will be doing this order when teaching MCSE to others having now become an MCT.

I have found the Microsoft Press Training Kits for specific exams extremely useful and they tend to come with practice questions as well. You can purchase them as an MCSE bundle as well or at least with the 4 core networking exams, 70-290,291,293 and 294, to make it a bit cheaper.

Also, look at the path for MCSA as well. Make sure the order you take your exams in gives you an MCSA initially. That will fast track a qualification and give you piece of mind.

Comment

Sir, you are saying "You can purchase them as an MCSE bundle as well or at least with the 4 core networking exams, 70-290,291,293 and 294, to make it a bit cheaper" i think i found in google search

Core Network Exams
            70-290
            Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
            70-291
            Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network
            Infrastructure
            70-293
            Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
            70-294
            Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory
            Infrastructure

so, is this enough sir for this core networking preparation?

thanks
            Last edited by danyee; 23rd June 2009, 11:06.

Comment

That's right. Amazon has the bundle. There are 4 core exams that have to be taken, so that covers those exams. The rest are choices of OS, elective, such as Exchange or security etc. and Design.

Take a look at the exams required for MCSA and MCSE by googling those. That way, you can check the exams that are relevant to both and take exams in the MCSA order and then finish the rest of exams for achieving MCSE.

Comment

Right now, a new manager came and saw my CV then says "even though you are working well, your CV is not accepted and you should to make a certificate online" I think one day he will fire me.
                In my opinion, based on the information that you've given, that is poor of your manager. As long as a person is doing a great job, certifications should have minimal impact on a person's job security, salary or benefits. Maybe he has other motives for saying that though. Have you asked him what type of certifications he is looking for? Whatever certs he'd like you to have, get those. Are you sure an MCSE is what he wants?

You can also look into getting a SQL Server Database Administrator certification in SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

IMHO, there's a balance that needs to be achieved here.

1. Your original manager gave you a chance to break in to the IT field. This is commendable and it would be nice if more managers had this attitude.

2. You've been working in the IT field for awhile now and as a professional you have a responsibility to yourself, your profession, and your company to take your profession seriously and pursue the certifications and education that is relevant to your profession. It's not enough IMHO to simply acquire the knowledge and skills, you need the credentials that go with it.

I say, continue pursuing your certification if for no-one but yourself. The sense of achievement and accomplishment is something that no-one can ever take away from you.

Comment

Reminds me of Ben Rockwood's first podcast that involved a discussion on this very topic.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Nonapeptide says "Have you asked him what type of certifications he is looking for? Whatever carts he'd like you to have, got those. Are you sure an MCSE is what he wants?"
                      You Sir, the first manager was foreigner (Lebanese) and he is very gentle and when he hired me said "don't worry will do more practice and you will be perfect" I mean he was a nice man. May god bless him where ever he is
                      The 2nd one is native from Arab and asked me from where I am and then he said how could you know this and I said through practice then he said, are you Microsoft certified? And I said no I learned in private school and then finally he told me that "i know you are doing good job but you must have license to work in here" and he is a kind of religious. you know guys to be honest with you; I don't have any problem with my job; even my performance, and I have good communication with the guys working in our company I mean we are doing good job. And I love my job very much and i always make scan and check update and make daily back up..... You know guys all people are not the same and this is part of life. So, I have to accept it.

Thank you very much guys and I really feel good
                      Last edited by danyee; 23rd June 2009, 17:33.

Comment

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Have a think about what you are most familar with and concentrate on that first. Once you have passed an exam and are MCP certified you will then have a Microsoft certificate to show the guy and demonstrate that you are working on the process. It may buy you more time to finish the whole thing off.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Core Network Exams
                            70-290
                            Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
                            70-291
                            Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network
                            Infrastructure
                            70-293
                            Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
                            70-294
                            Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory
                            Infrastructure
                            Danyee, I hope you are aware that you need to pass 7 exams to become a MCSE.
                            For which certification exams did you allready passed? (EDIT: I see you did not pass any yet)

If you have to start from scratch start with 70-620 (MS Vista). This will "give" you the MCTS credential and it can be used during the upgrade towards Server 2008.
                            70-290 (Server 2003) is a nice one for starters with server hands-on experience which will 'give" you the MCP credential.

Well.. start and show your manager you are willing to put effort in certification.
                            Last edited by Ciro; 28th June 2009, 18:51.
                            MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
                            A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Hello, guys how are you doing?

i have started studying the MCSE core network ( 70-290, 291, 293, 294 ) but Ciro Says " If you have to start from scratch start with 70-620 (MS Vista). This will "give" you the MCTS credential and it can be used during the upgrade towards Server 2008. 70-290 (Server 2003) is a nice one for starters with server hands-on experience which will 'give" you the MCP credential "

1. Do you think the 70-620 (MS vista) is better and easy to understand than the MCSE core network?
                              2. " I hope you are aware that you need to pass 7 exams to become a MCSE" you mean beside this core network i have to add other two exams? is it from MCSE course?

THANKS
                              Last edited by danyee; 29th June 2009, 20:05.

Comment

Working...
                              X