Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cert. Paths confuse me... ?

Good morning.

I'm confused by the new levels of exams and certifications.. it's a bit like licensing.. :P

I currently have the following:
    70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 70-271, 70-272
    That gives me my MCSA (2003) and MCDST (XP)

My next logical step is 70-648 which should bump me up to MCTS:2008 - AD and MCTS:2008 - Network Infrastructure if I understand correctly.

The next step beyond that could be 70-646 which would make me MCITP: Server Administrator.

and it would take another 3 beyond that for MCITP:Enterprise Admin.. ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: Cert. Paths confuse me... ?

Your other path would be to complete your MCSE with 70-293, 70-294 and a design exam
    Then you would have a 2-exam route to either SA or EA, with one more exam for the other

I'm still of the opinion that MCSE is the "gold standard" MS certification and if you are job hunting is the one to go for
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

definitely not job hunting.. staying here till february, going overseas next year for 12-18 months, then coming back to this job...

plus, I have more chances of convincing my boss to pay for the course if it's up and coming technology that we're starting to deploy for clients..

definitely given me nother way to think about it though
      Last edited by tehcamel; 6th May 2009, 05:51.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        The next step beyond that could be 70-646 which would make me MCITP: Server Administrator.

and it would take another 3 beyond that for MCITP:Enterprise Admin.. ?
        I'm fairly certain that you would need the 70-620, 70-643 and the 70-647 PRO to then get the MCITP:EA. However, you can upgrade your MCDST to the MCITP:Enterprise Support Technician by taking the 70-621 which counts as the 70-620 for any certification that needs it (the 621 smashes the 620 and 622 together). That way you get an entire MCITP cert as well as credit towards the MCITP:EA.

Wow, so you can leave your job for a year and then come back to it... wait... you're not in the Army reserves are you? No, actually I remember a little bit of your story from a month back or so.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

grave dig to refresh my mind, and update.

70-648: Target: Nov 1
          70-646: Target: Jan 6
          70-680: Target: Feb 10

Ambitious, yes ?:P
          I also want Exchange 2007, but just won't be able to fit it in.

I've got to do a global AD migration for one organisation, and another AD migration for second organisation within the same time frame.. so hopefully that'll help with the hands on

The windows 7 one is just for fun

I'm still a bit unclear.. if I do 70-648, do I ALSO need to do 70-640 and 70-642, or is that covered by -648 ?

Comment

"Exam 70-648 is an upgrade exam that is a composite of two stand-alone exams: 70-640 and 70-642."

You're good. Nice and ambitions, but not too insane. I did four exams in one month once. All betas. No studying. Woot!!
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

now i have to try and get them scheduled by Dec 31 so i can use the discount codes..
              although we've got some in our exam-kits too, so that's a little less stress

Comment

Working...
              X