which cert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which cert

I'm undecided which cert to go for the MCITP:EA or MSCE.The company I work for currently is using 2000 ,2003 and 2008 servers.Every new server we add or replace is going to be server 08 so I was thinking of going for my MCITP .The problem is I plan to move to a different state within the next two years and I'm thinking a MCSE would help my job search at that time.Should I go for the MCITP and hope more companies are using 08 by then or should I do the MCSE and upgrade to the 08 cert at a later date?
    MCITP: EA

MCITP: SA

Re: which cert

This has been discussed a couple of times, and there is no consensus here

If you are sure you will be working mainly with Server 2008, then the MCITP is worth going for.
    But in the job market, MCSE is understood, where MCITP requires explanation (I use "New style MCSE in Server 2008", for example)

With good choice of client and elective exams, you may be able to combine two into one a little easier than 7 + 3 exams.

Good luck, whichever path you choose!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks I would like to have both certs so I think I will do mcse and upgrade to 08 after.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        This has been discussed a couple of times, and there is no consensus here

If you are sure you will be working mainly with Server 2008, then the MCITP is worth going for.
        But in the job market, MCSE is understood, where MCITP requires explanation (I use "New style MCSE in Server 2008", for example)

With good choice of client and elective exams, you may be able to combine two into one a little easier than 7 + 3 exams.

Good luck, whichever path you choose!
        You can actually get both with 7 + 2 exams

MCSE 2003
        70-270
        70-290
        70-291
        70-293
        70-294
        70-297/70-298
        70-260*

MCITP:EA
        70-260*
        70-649
        70-647

The 70-260 counts in both places and you'll also get the MCTS:Vista cert after passing it. Three certs, nine exams. Not bad for $1125. The MCITP:EA is five exams by itself so it is almost worth it to go the long way since an MCSE is still recognized in the market.

Comment

Absolutely correct -- I should have said 7+2
          btw, when you say 70-260, do you mean 70-620 (TS: Vista)?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are the Measureup exams good for preparing for the 70-640 or do I need the transcender exams too?

Comment

Measureup are pretty good, I often find they are slightly harder than the real exams so they do prepare you pretty well. I don't know if it's still the case but in the past MS Press books came with a free CD which included measureup practice exams.

Might be worth doing 70-620 as your client exam though and ditching XP. Then you can do Exchange or ISA or something like that as an elective as another string to your bow.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                Measureup are pretty good, I often find they are slightly harder than the real exams so they do prepare you pretty well. I don't know if it's still the case but in the past MS Press books came with a free CD which included measureup practice exams.

Might be worth doing 70-620 as your client exam though and ditching XP. Then you can do Exchange or ISA or something like that as an elective as another string to your bow.

yes they still come with them, i bought one the other month (70-640)
                haven't done the exam yet (or much study for that matter)

Comment

Yeah I bought the MCITP MS press Kit and it came with the measureup practice tests. I was just curious about if the measureup tests were good practice since I have heard that they weren't too good for the MCSE 03 exams.From I was told the transcenders for the MSCE were harder than the real exam questions.
                  I'm doing the measureup exams and I'm getting scores in the 50-60 so I still have some areas to review but I'm at least half way there right .

Comment

IMHO of the three main sets of tests (MeasureUp, STS and Transcender), MeasureUp comes a long way below the other two.

This is not to say its bad, but the STS and Transcender come a lot closer to the exam experience
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

I was afraid of that since all I have is the measureup tests.I guess I better think about getting the transcenders

Comment

I've only used the measureups, not the others, but I haven't had any issues passing exams. If it wasn't for the fact that second shot has finally expired I'd say give it a go as you've got another attempt for free.

Personal choice, if it's cheaper to buy more practice exams than resit the exam and you're really not confident about passing then it may be worth it.
                        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by texasit View Post
                          I was afraid of that since all I have is the measureup tests.I guess I better think about getting the transcenders
                          I've used MeasureUP for the better part of my Microsoft exams and found them to be acceptable, but certainly not the best. Transcender excels at explaining the solutions to the exams. MeasureUP explanations are in many cases flat and not very helpful. Transcender explanations, if collated and printed, are practically their own textbook on the subject matter. However, if MeasureUP is all you have that's still not too shabby. I wouldn't break your piggy bank open just yet.
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                          -------------------------------
                          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

so would you say the practice questions are just as well on the measureup exams as they are on the transcenders?If the only real benefit is that transcenders has a better explanation than I should be ok with the measureup tests I'm thinking.

Comment

I didn't give as thorough of an answer as I should have. Yes, even the MeasureUP questions can be of less quality than the Transcenders. Sometimes I've looked at a M-UP question and seen grammar errors and spelling mistakes. I've also had questions that I just didn't think were very well explained and didn't give me a fair chance. Happily, those are the exceptions and most MeasureUP questions are decent. It does, however, seem that transcender questions are much closer to the subject matter that you will be tested on in the real exam. In fact, so close that I've sometimes raised my eyebrow in the midst of an exam because the real exam question was frighteningly similar to some of the Transcender questions I had taken the previous few days.

I wouldn't dismiss good explanations as something you can easily do without. Good explanations will help you with trickier questions that have very similar possible answers but a very specific reason why only one answer is correct. They will help you learn the subject matter in general but also help you pass the exam way better than just knowing if you got it right.

That said, I've done enough exams using solely the MeasureUP questions that came with the MSPress exam guides to know that it's certainly do-able without the Transcenders.
                              Wesley David
                              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                              -------------------------------
                              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                              X