Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSCA MSCE to old?

am still working on my track to get my mcse on 2003 am halfway tru it
    and i know that its not going to expire my question is if its to late for me to finish getting it becuase 2008 is out? or its not becuase many people are still using 2003?

and is it true the 2008 certifications expire?

Re: MSCA MSCE to old?

It will still be worth completing the MCSE 2003 and then you can take the upgrade exam for taking you to MCTS Windows 2008 Server (think it is that one) and then you can decide to take 1 more exam to get you to MCITP: Server Administrator (w2k8 MCSA equivalent) and/or another 2 exams for MCITP: Enterprise adminstrator (w2k8 MCSE equivalent).

The windows 2008 server exams will be valid for a good number of years yet. After all, MCSA/E still has valid exams even since 2003.

Comment

I started my MCSE study in the second half of last year and I've done it within a couple of months.
      I noticed that at the moment there aren't many companies who want to see MCITP (SA or EA) only.

Currently MCSE has still a higher value and for me that was the reason to do it.
      I would finish the MCSE and upgrade later on.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I concur. If you're an MCSE it's 2-3 exams to upgrade (2 if you do 70-620 as your MCSE client exam, 3 otherwise I think) to MCITP:EA. However 2008 is not going to see massive uptake in production environments for a while yet so while some 2008 knowledge always helps (particularly Hyper-V as virtualisation is the buzzword of the year) for now 2003 will continue to dominate the market.

One of our customers who have loads of very strict requirements about hardware warranties and age of technology are looking at the end of this year to upgrade, and that's at the earliest. The global financial situation will result in lots of people running their kit for an extra year or two before upgrading.

I'm one exam from MCSA, 3 from MCSE and my plan is to do them this summer. My boss is already an MCSE so he's planning to start his upgrade exams at the same time so we can cover as much ground as possible.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Also, consider this: A lot of employers and employment agencies scan resumes into a database and use OCR to index them. Then, a hiring manager types key words into a search string. MCSE is way, way, way more likely to be searched than MCITP or MCTS (or MCM or MCA for that matter). It's a little sad, but true and likely to remain true for years to come. Conceivably, a highly qualified MCA could be passed by if he didn't have an MCSE. I'd assume it's the same way with the CCENT vs the CCNA. CompTIA certs are also old-timers that, IMO, aren't worth a lot as far as the knowledge they represent but they're well known and get searched for more often.

So yes, go for your MCSE.
          Last edited by Nonapeptide; 26th February 2009, 20:02. Reason: spelling
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
            Also, consider this: A lot of employers and employment agencies scan resumes into a database and use OCR to index them. Then, a hiring manager types key words into a search string. MCSE is way, way, way more likely to be searched than MCITP or MCTS (or MCM or MCA for that matter). It's a little sad, but true and like yto remain true for years to come. Conceivably, a highly qualified MCA could be passed by if he didn't have an MCSE. I'd assume it's the same way with the CCENT vs the CCNA. CompTIA certs are also old-timers that, IMO, aren't worth a lot as far as the knowledge they represent but they're well known and get searched for more often.

So yes, go for your MCSE.
            I'm an MCITP and I put "MCSE 2008" next to my MCITP tag on my resume for this reason.

Comment

And if you go for the MCITP:EA , mention that MCSE doesn't exist for 2008 in your resumé. That way the indexing/search WILL see the letters "MCSE" in your resume!

Edit: Garen beat me to it by a few seconds!
              VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

in my country MCSE 2003 is still the dominant cert employers are looking and know of.

most companies here dont have any plans to migrade to Server 2008 technologies anytime soon.
                A+,N+,MCP
                MCSA2003:Messaging and Security MCSE2003:Messaging and Security
                MCTS: Forefront 70-557
                MCTS:vista 70-620
                MCTS:vista 70-622
                MCTS:MOSS 2007 70-630
                MCTS:Windows server 2008 AD 70-640
                MCTS:Windows server 2008 NI 70-642
                MCTS:Windows server 2008 NI 70-643
                MCTS:Exchange Server 2007:70-236
                MCTS:SQL Server 2005:70-431
                MCITP:Enterprice Messaging Administrator MCITP:Enterprice Administrator
                MCITP:Enterprice Technician
                MCITP:SQL2005 DBA
                MCITP:SQL2008 DBA

Comment

Working...
                X