which is freely available to anyone.
    I thing they could give us thing like free server products phone
    support or a few free exam a year but no they give
    us nothing.
    I will not take any more microsoft exams until microsoft
    will give us some real benefits and I am calling other
    MCSE's to do the same.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/benefits.asp

I have a similar background. I think it's worth it as it is a means to stay employable.

I'm fairly certain that I will not be unemployed for quite some time into the future and I will always be in a position to negociate a fairly decent salary.

As long as my skills stay concurrent and I can demonstrate this, I'll be OK.

Hell, when I'm 45/50 I might even be able to avoid ageism in the workplace.

Comment

I can understand your frustration. I feel like this most of the time too and at the same time feel like a slave to MS. I have decided to break the monotony by also branching off into the SUSE Linux world or possibly Solaris. I am especially attracted by the fact that Solaris has never suffered from viruses like in 20 years. Talk about solid code. It's a shame that many companies only see the $$$$ and regret making a transition to a inferior product. This is what happens when beancounters run companies.

Comment

I tend not to agree with the original post. Microsoft allows you to certify in order for you to demonstrate your skills, and they are not required to give you anything in return. It's up to you to decide if you want to certify or not, and since it's totally voluntary, Microsoft can charge for it (as do all major software vendors - try registering for a RH test, see how much that costs). Are they required to pat you on your back and send you software worth thousands of $? I'm not sure. They can, however, send you benefits, free bonuses, a nice certificate, a plastic card no one knows what to do with, and perhaps even a bonus here and there. But I don't think you can blame them for not sending you flowers on the day you pass your test...
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

True

But I definitely wouldn't wear the lapel pins at interviews or at parties
          or like some people use the logos on my resume. However, the cert card can be a bit of a babe magnet.

Comment

I took the RHCE exam not long ago, and being certified by RedHat, I can confirm that neither did I get flowers, nor did I get free access to software downloads.

You do the certifications to prove (to others or to yourself) your knowledge and not to get free meals.
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I also did a CCNA to compliement my skill set. I also did Compaq server certification, when Compaq existed.

More the better I say.

Incidently, I knew a guy that always wore the lapel pin on his suit jacket. That was in New Zealand. I never said anything.

Comment

I like to think I am flexible with my skill set. I don't like to boast about having a MCSE in NT and 2000, and now MCSA in 2003. A CNE in 5 and 6 and a CNA in 5.0 and 5.1 and 6. As far as Cisco goes I only went for my CCNA and not a CCNP as I felt it would be an overkill in what I do. As far as instructional skills go I am a CNI and an MCT, both of which I have left non renewed. I now want to attain a CCA (Citrix FR3) after I finish the 70-296 exam. After all this I also want to probably go for the Novell CLP (Certified Linux Professional) cert as I feel this is were Novell are leaning more in. I have an excellent understanding of NDS/E-directory and its poorer cousing MS AD. Understanding directory services are a critical component that every Admin/Systems Engineer should know about and knowing how to troubleshoot and implement this is important. All up I have 9 years experience working with complex environments with heterogenous networks. Keeps the job interesting!

Comment

Working...
                X