Selling my MCSE books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling my MCSE books

Hello, I started a self training online course about 4 years ago but i was unable to finish it due to ill health, the course has finished and i'm left with a 5 grand debt and no qualifications, the company sent me out the remainder of my course but i have no use for it now, is there a way i could sell the books that i have been sent and at least get some money back from the course.
    The MCSE books i have received are 70-270, 70-284, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298 and 70-299. I've looked on amazon and ebay to see how much there worth but i'm still not sure, the course is from computeach so i also have a A+ book that i can get rid of as well.
    Any advice will be very much appreciated

Mark

Re: Selling my MCSE books

If you have the books why not read them and put yourself in for the exams? They are ~ 90 a pop but you may be able to get a discount and get the qualification as well.
    (this wasn't meant to be facetious by the way)
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I agree... use the books anyway and get the qualification. If nothing else it's something to fall back on.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks for getting back so quickly.
        I was thinking about carrying on with the course, but to be honest with you i've struggled, not just with being sick but with also sitting there reading from the books all the time, its ok for a while but its far better when your with other people and interacting, its ok interacting online, but your still sitting there on your own studying. I'm also looking to maybe go to uni as a mature student and maybe do a course like computer science, so i'm not sure wether commiting myself to the mcse would be a good idea. I mean would going to uni mean the mcse would become pointless?
        Again any advice would be great, but i just can't see myself being motivated enough to sit there on my own for the duration of the course.

Comment

The fun of learning Windows System Management isn't in the bare studying but in the practice. You get lost in it - you build a domain controller and a workstation; create a domain with all the fruit and veg hanging off it and then destroy it in a controlled fashion - all using Virtual PC Technology to "emulate" the real thing! Creating web servers and Exchange servers; making whole worlds come into being and then vanish. The studying to understand the background is a side issue; experience is the main key to understanding what's actually happening.

Your degree won't make an MCSE obsolete or unnecessary; to be honest the degree will be a completely different field and therefore the MCSE will be another string to your bow. The only decision you have to make is whether you have Uni work to do today, or whether you can afford the time on MCSE work. Self-study MCSE is at your pace and do the exams when you're ready.

Honestly, and straight up and down advice from me is to go for it - the rewards of this are many and you will feel great pride and achievement when you have an MCSE and can actually demonstrate that you know what you're talking about. I know that illness can take away any positivity you might feel and I know that your energy levels will be low; but you will take away a lot from this if you apply yourself to it and I strongly urge you not to give up on it just yet.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, really wasn't expecting encouragement, so its a nice surprise and a very posiyive one at that. You see the problem is that i hadn't even started the MCSE, i was still stuck on the A+, but i would always get sick while i was doing the A+, so after a while when i was better i would have to start again.
            I really wanted to do the course, even before i posted here i wanted to finish it, i love learning and working with computers, but with the health issuses and the fact that quite a few people told me the MCSE was a bit useless (it did dawn on me though that none of these people actually had computer qualifications) i decided to concede defeat, but if you think its worth carrying on then i might give the A+ another go and then hopefully move onto the MCSE. After all i did pay 5 grand for it. Thanks again AndyJG247 and stone laughter.
            If anyones got any great websites for helping with the A+(as i'll get no help from computeach now) i'd be grateful.

Mark

P.S after only three replys yous convinced me to start up again, yous two should go into selling these courses, either that or i'm easily persuaded.

Comment

Well nothing worth doing is easy. Before I was in the IT profession, I had one dead end job after another. Once I started studying I kept at it, night after night. I got my first IT job working a help desk followed shortly by my first certification. 9 years and 9 certifications later I'm the network manager at an ASP/ISV. It's been a lot of work getting here but certainly worth it.

I say keep going, use the books you have, keep studying, and start looking for that beginning IT job. A few years from now you'll wonder why you ever doubted yourself. Here's my philosophy on work and life:

1. Always be honest
              2. Work harder than everyone else
              3. Be disciplined
              4. Be persistent

Comment

cheers, i'll start tommorow, hopefully stay disciplined and better this time

Comment

Originally posted by markm View Post
                  cheers, i'll start tommorow, hopefully stay disciplined and better this time
                  I seriously hope it goes like I said, now! LOL. Stay with us and ask LOTS of questions. TCP/IP is a pig when you first learn it - but once you've got it you've got it for good.

We're more than happy to help you.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter
                    TCP/IP is a pig when you first learn it
                    Wash your mouth out, TCP/IP is fun!! Scored 966 on that exam.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks, started last night, so hopefully stick with it, it will be good to have people to answer questions for me, one of the problems i had with computeach was it was hard to get any of the tutors online.

Comment

Make sure you build that virtual network too, even 1 server and 1 desktop is good for testing
                        Good luck!
                        cheers
                        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Mark if you ever feel like it is getting on top of you, either post a rant in the lounge or PM me. Read a wise tit bit once that said, Inch by Inch it's a Cinch. Set targets and make them realistic. I started with one chapter a day (but I had a lot of time as I was contracting at the time).

Once you get the first cert under your belt it becomes infectious. Also never get rid of the books as they make good reference materials later when the small things slip the memory.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X