Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCSE: Self study or getting sponsored? HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSE: Self study or getting sponsored? HELP!!

I’m working in a company where they sponsor me if I go for any course, they pay all the fees unless I fail then I have to pay the whole thing!

I work 10 hours a day from 8am-6pm and I found a learning center which gives classes 5 days a week from 6pm-10pm.. for 4 months or so..

So there will be no time to do anything during the day.. it’s a FULL DAY!

Do you think its better to be sponsored and take the risk and see if I’ll be able to manage and pass the exams with such a bad timing? OR i buy the books and study myself and take the exams whenever i'm ready?

Re: MCSE: Self study or getting sponsored? HELP!!

Only you can answer that, if you are prepared to put the effort in then I'm sure you will pass. You can re-take exams if you have to and there are several reputable books (etc) out there with test style questions that can be done before the real thing.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

That makes for a very long day and then you have study on top of that. As Andy say, only you will know if you can handle the hours and study required to pass te exams.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If I'm on a course I'm doing it at daytime otherwise you simply can't do it or it will be too hard.
        You will probably loose you concentration.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I did something similar to what you're faced with. Working and studying for almost all of your waking hours is a chore and you will definitely hit brain-saturation at some point. That situation seems a bit sketchy, but it's always so tempting to have someone else pay for your bills. When you say:

Originally posted by A.Z.
          they pay all the fees unless I fail then I have to pay the whole thing!
          Does that mean that you simply have to pay for the exam that you fail, or if you fail an exam, then you in essence default on your classes and EVERYTHING? If it's the latter, that would be tough.

Self study has it's merits, but only if you're the kind of person that can keep on yourself to do what you know you need to do. I have a tendency to get distracted and need an occasionally class to keep me on track. One thing that wasn't clear to me (perhaps it should have been, but I don't want to make any poor assumptions): Do you work in an IT position already?
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
            Does that mean that you simply have to pay for the exam that you fail, or if you fail an exam, then you in essence default on your classes and EVERYTHING? If it's the latter, that would be tough.

Do you work in an IT position already?
            Yes i'll have to pay for everything!
            and yeah i work as a desktop support engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by A.Z View Post
              Yes i'll have to pay for everything!
              and yeah i work as a desktop support engineer.
              Ouch! So one failed exam and you're shouldering the entire bill for your classes... which I'm assuming is going to be thousands of the monetary units of your country. Talk about pressure. It's up to you if you think you can handle it... but personally, I'd leave that on the table and do some self-study. Maybe, if you can work it out this way, just use the company's assistance to get some entry level classes and exams out of the way. You should be able to pass those on the first try with your experience. Anything more intense and it sounds like it starts to get risky.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

What I should do is studying at my own.
                Buy some books at amazon.com or your favorite bookstore. I've bought the books at my own costs.
                Practice a lot and who cares if it takes more time.

Personally I wouldn't sacrifice so much spare time without having time for a diner
                I do expect so time from my boss either.
                Use vmware or virtual PC to create your labs and play around.

Ask a voucher from your boss and register for a second shot at Microsoft.com.

If you fail, well you get a second free chance.
                I don't know if you have to pay your boss either if you ask only for some vouchers.

What I've done during my few months of MCSE studying was creating a check list.
                Every exam I passed I marked it with a V. Otherwise there was an arrow point to the exam I currently was working on.
                It kept me motivating during this period
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working 14 hour days is not an option IMO, you'll be constantly tired, have little to no social life and will end up resenting work for making you do it. In fact if they want this qualification it is quite unreasonable for them not to provide some time during the working week for you to do it. Any free time I have at work I'm encouraged to hit the books, which is to my benefit and my companys.

As others have suggested get some books (E.g. MS Press) or some video training (CBT Nuggets, Train Signal etc) and learn at your own pace. Coupled with your own on the job experience you will learn more in the long run and at a pace suited to you.

MS has the second shot offer currently extended to the end of June which makes nearly a full year since they started it I think, and I wouldn't be surprised if they extend again which gives you 2 goes for the price of one.

The circumstances you describe make it far too much pressure to get your company to pay for it, so I would definitely go self study.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Seems like i'll go for self study.
                    Thanks for the feedback guys

Comment

Download some Virtual Machines or create them yourself. That is a great way to learn new technology, if you don't readily have it available at work.

Personally, I attended a Classroon led training for MCSE course and self taught myself for the MCITP-Enterprise administrator and Server Administrator.

The good thing about Classroon led training is that you learn a lot from fellow students and from the trainer and not always relevant to the specific course.

Comment

Virtual's reply reminded me about Microsoft's online Virtual Labs. They're pretty amazing and allow you to have hands on interaction with a product within a virtual machine right within your web browser. The labs have a course guide and some tasks that you can accomplish to get better acquainted with the product. However, often I'll use one of the VMs and completely ignore the lab guide. I then use it for my own studying. For example, I don't have a trial copy of Exchange 2003 to play with so I just used the online virtual labs to tinker with while I read some Exchange books.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

My mind has now bee jogged the same as nonapeptide.

The online Virtual Labs are very good and I have used a few myself. Another good source of training is:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/

I haven't used this since it had a revamp but I know you used to be able to or still can, login with your .net passport and take some training online. There were a lot of free courses available as well and are good tasters for getting to know products. They also target the new features, which exams will often assess you on.

Comment

sad to say but in my country there are not any good trainig centers around and if you did not work for a company (ITC's, telecom's, cellulor service providers etc....) that sponsored you by sending you on training and payed for your exams in your perticular line of work ......you are stuck

I have used self study for all my certitifications.
                            1. invest in equipment like PC's. a printer, 8port swicthes and internet
                            2. invest in books, tutorials, CBT's
                            3. setup your home lab and download software technologies you want to get certified in
                            4. complete topics and objectives in each course marterials practice makes perfact.
                            5. use forums like this one and the internet when ever you can.
                            i have 12 pc 7 are P4 HT machines the rest are dual core entry level 4GB and 2GB RAM and 1 Core2quad 8GB ram gaming box i have cisco routers 1841 and swicthes 2960 and
                            on my pc's i run vmware workstation 6.5 to exstend my enviroment. So logicaly i have 19 machines physicaly 12
                            Last edited by lbe; 4th March 2009, 14:51.
                            A+,N+,MCP
                            MCSA2003:Messaging and Security MCSE2003:Messaging and Security
                            MCTS: Forefront 70-557
                            MCTS:vista 70-620
                            MCTS:vista 70-622
                            MCTS:MOSS 2007 70-630
                            MCTS:Windows server 2008 AD 70-640
                            MCTS:Windows server 2008 NI 70-642
                            MCTS:Windows server 2008 NI 70-643
                            MCTS:Exchange Server 2007:70-236
                            MCTS:SQL Server 2005:70-431
                            MCITP:Enterprice Messaging Administrator MCITP:Enterprice Administrator
                            MCITP:Enterprice Technician
                            MCITP:SQL2005 DBA
                            MCITP:SQL2008 DBA

Comment

Working...
                            X