Mcse??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcse??

Hi all im new to the forum and would like some opinions.

I have an opportunity to enroll for MCSE and, as a result (if i pass) i will be offered a job in I.T and taken under the wing of a good friend of mine in the buissnes. Today i contacted a company called Seek Learning who are offering this course for 1995 and included in the price are 2 other courses MCDST and CompTIA A+ (free). The question im getting to really is am i going in at the deep end?
    I have had life long experience with computers and iv had experience installing data and telephone systems and home networks but im worried about failing the exams because maybe i have jumped the ladder?

Some advice would be a great help

Mat

Re: Mcse??

There is a lot of information in the MCSE and it isn't that bad a qualification from a general point of view (in my opinion).
    Why not pop into a book shop and have a read of one of the MCSE books available so you get an idea?

Train Signal also do some course if you prefer studying at home?
    http://www.trainsignal.com/Microsoft-Training-C4.aspx
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

If your main worry is about the exams, have a look at some of the practice test providers (Transcender, SelfTest and MeasureUp) and look at the sample questions on their sites.

As said, everyone has their own types of study, so its what's right for you. From a quick look, the course you mention is on-line / video based? If so, you might prefer book learning or an instructor led course.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You've got a great opportunity for a job in a good industry at a rather low point in the world's economic cycle. I'd say go for it! Do you think you have the kind of personality that can handle jumping straight into new things like this? With your experience, I'm sure you will do fine. The Microsoft exams aren't terribly difficult. "Quirky" might be a better adjective but you'll soon learn how to handle them. As Ossian said, try out some practice exams to get the feel for it, but there's not much to them once you have a decent foundation in the technology. Many Microsoft test questions have at least 1 answer that is disposable. Here's a rather silly make-believe example:

You're server is not responding to pings. What is the first thing that you should check?
        1. Your DHCP server to see if it's giving out valid leases.
        2. Make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
        3. Check to see if your network card is functioning.
        4. How much gasoline you have in your car

There have been a few possible answers on some of my tests that made me stop and look around for a hidden camera to see if I was on some kind of comedy T.V. show.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for the reply's i have decided to take the plunge! Its defiantly the career i want so i have to do it. Any tips on what to read or where to look?

Mat

Comment

Here is a very good place to start
            Get a range of books and hardware for a test lab, and if you like video courses, have a good look at TrainSignal
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As far as passing the exams goes, MS Press books are usually pretty good. They also come with hundreds of free MeasureUP practice exam questions. However, since they're published by Microsoft, they tend to be very self-serving and dry. Virtually anything published by O'Reilly is great (keep in mind that they're practical books and not intended as exam study-guides... unless it's explicitly stated as being for that purpose). You might want to pick up a few of them like this one, this one, this one, this one, and maybe even this one. In fact, look into getting a Safari Books Online account. It has books from many technology publishers, not just O'Reilly. For starters you can check out a flash video tutorial of the service or try a free individual trial. On their sign-up page they say that a 10 slot limited access bookshelf costs $22.99, but I happen to know that there are cheaper accounts (10-slot with no download tokens, 5 slot, etc.). Call them up and ask for them. It's been a great resource for me.

Stick around and keep us informed of your progress!
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for all your reply's and links much appreciated! I have 3 computers and a laptop to play with i hope that's sufficient and yes i see this site is a great starting point for me so here goes....

Comment

Don't forget you can do lots in a Virtual environment so you don't have to have the physical machines that were needed in the past.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Don't forget you can do lots in a Virtual environment so you don't have to have the physical machines that were needed in the past.
                    I have both Virtual PC and Virtual Server but im having problems with the latter ATM all part of the learning process though

Comment

Nothing to really learn in Virtual PC. Train Signal have an excellent Lab for Virtual Server 2005 (includes Virtual PC ) and VMWare.

VMWare is the choice if you want to install 64bit software like Exchange 2007, in a virtual enviroment.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X