Mcse & Vcp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcse & Vcp

Partly for the MCSE section and partly for the others section so I'll put it here

I'm wanting to do both my MCSE and VCP and preferably together to get them done as quick as possible. Has anyone done them together and has any tips? Or anyone who's done either and has some tips anyway

Re: Mcse & Vcp

Well I only did MCSE so far and it took me about 3 months and I did it quite quickly
    I don't know how hard VCP is but isn't that only one exam?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      Well I only did MCSE so far and it took me about 3 months and I did it quite quickly
      I don't know how hard VCP is but isn't that only one exam?
      3 months! That's impressive

VCP is only one exam. 75 question with a pass mark of 70

How long did you spend studying? Maybe it would be possible for me to do both within a year then if not possibly 6-9 months

Comment

You have to checkout my topics in this part of the forum
        I was pretty quick, although I've to say, I had plenty of time.
        And by using my own knowledge and CBT nuggets I managed it rather quickly.

I did an exam about every 2 weeks..
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Well I only did MCSE so far and it took me about 3 months
          3 years and counting for me... but I have a good excuse. Work keeps getting in the way.

gotenks1321: I can only speak for the MCSE track. There's really no secret to it. Just study good materials, get hands on experience (virtual machines are your friends!) and stay calm. I used to read the MS Press exam books exclusively, but I'm less and less fond of them. They've got decent content but it's presented very dry. Their best value is that they come with MeasureUp practice exams bundled on a CD that would otherwise costs you hundreds. Shop around and look for exam study guides by McGraw Hill and others. I'd also suggest focusing on the technology and not so much the exam. For example, if you read these three books (1, 2, 3) cover to cover and tinkered with the technology as you read, you could probably blow away the exams. Even if you couldn't you'd know more about the technology and how to apply it to work situations than a paper tiger. Maybe just brush up on the content with some MeasureUp practice exams before sitting the test.

Oh, and a CCNA wouldn't hurt either, but that's another post.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

You have to checkout my topics in this part of the forum
            I was pretty quick, although I've to say, I had plenty of time.
            And by using my own knowledge and CBT nuggets I managed it rather quickly.

I did an exam about every 2 weeks..
            I'll go and have a look for them in a bit

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
            3 years and counting for me... but I have a good excuse. Work keeps getting in the way.

gotenks1321: I can only speak for the MCSE track. There's really no secret to it. Just study good materials, get hands on experience (virtual machines are your friends!) and stay calm. I used to read the MS Press exam books exclusively, but I'm less and less fond of them. They've got decent content but it's presented very dry. Their best value is that they come with MeasureUp practice exams bundled on a CD that would otherwise costs you hundreds. Shop around and look for exam study guides by McGraw Hill and others. I'd also suggest focusing on the technology and not so much the exam. For example, if you read these three books (1, 2, 3) cover to cover and tinkered with the technology as you read, you could probably blow away the exams. Even if you couldn't you'd know more about the technology and how to apply it to work situations than a paper tiger. Maybe just brush up on the content with some MeasureUp practice exams before sitting the test.

Oh, and a CCNA wouldn't hurt either, but that's another post.
            I've started collecting the MS Press books already, well just the XP one at the moment lol.

Experience wise I have about 5 years now and plenty of virtual machines to play with (ESXi setup with 8 servers running so far )

I'll certainly have a look at those books you recommend. Can never have too many to reference from down the line.

I did do the majority of my CCNA but never did the final exam, kind of regret it but it would be up for renewal now anyway lol

Comment

Working...
            X