No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSE > MCSA?

Hey guys (sorry for the long-winded post),

I came here yesterday ang looked around and i saw these forums, and i have always been interested in MCSE and the likes..
    However, im a tad confused..

While trying to find out the differences i stumbled upon this site:

Now, how i see their top graphic.. i would think that a MCSA would have difference skills to a MCSE.. But when i compare the courses/exams.. MCSE has a a few extras but they are pretty much the same.

What i want to know is.. Is there really any difference? and what stream would be considered the the more "advanced". Like if i were to go to a job and me and someone else exactly the same, apart from the fact one had a MCSE and the other had a MCSA who would be more likely to get a job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I was actually going to order the mcse step-by-step book-set for the core exams.. but any opinions would be great

MCSE is older and therefore better recognized. Also you need to remember that most of the people (Human Resources) that post jobs. They don't have a clue which cert a potential candidate should have to compliment the needs of their company.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

ahhk thats cool..
      From what i have gathered.. i can read up on all the things i should know and when i do go for the exams i will be prepared.. however, if dont go for the exams for a while.. i still put what i have learnt into practice anyways..

If you have jumped into the deepend then I suggest you wear a snorkel. Courses are run by several vendors. A couple I know offhand are:

Educom, Melb and Sydney

Monash IT in Melbourne.

Have a look in computer mags like PC World. Course vendors are listed there.

However instead of jumping in and doing a course, I would suggest buying a couple of books, downloading the 180 day trial software from Microsoft, setting up a network at home and do the play and learn trick for a while. The courses are VERY intensive and you can getting some serious information overload with the result you end up wasting a lot of money. These courses ain't cheap. Last time I looked the MCSE ranged between $9,000 - $12,000. Self study, the books will cost less than $1,000.

My favourite book supplier. Can get anything, just ask for Steve.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

That's exactly the way you should do it. Experience is the most important aspect of what we do. I had my MCSE 4.0 cert, then my company recently agreed to send me to a MCSA boot camp for 2003. I have experience and was able to pass all the test, but many didn't. The lack of experience, I think was their down fall. Even if your able to pass the test, your really cheating your self. You might get a job with the cert, but if you can't do the work, because you lack the ability to apply the concepts, then your going to have trouble.

10 years ago I set up a network in my garage and started experimenting. And while I won't say I know everything there is to know, I understand much about TCP/IP and Networking. The advantage of a home practice network is that you can try the concepts and if you break the network, your not costing a company their valuable time.

Also read, I'm partial to the Sybex books, but there are many out there that give you the information you need.

cheers guys,

I think i didnt woork it properly.. (in fact i think i edited it out)..
            I have just ordered my core books for 2003 MCSE.. which im quite happy with. I was never going to go for the courses i was just comparing them on the sites lol.. sorry for the confusion

I think the practical side of it should be well covered, i get the eval with the books.. and i work in the IT department of a High School with a windows 2003 server with approx 300 computers.. The best thing is, im fairly fine to 'play' and fiddle with things as long as I dont kill the network. And of course i have a network at home.. it only consists of two computers right now, but im getting another one in the near future, so one will be relegated to a testing server..

The bad news for you guys is that you might have another person hanging around the forums, so watch out

- MARK

I teach the MCP, MCSA and MCSE. Students wanting to complete the MCSE do the same modules as people doing the MCSA. So it is a logical progression. There are two streams in the MCSA and MCSE; messaging (Exchange 2000, 2003) and security (ISA server).
              The MCSE is defintely a better recognised cert because it has been around since NT 3.xx.

The MCSA is more administration as opposed to the MCSE which is design, implementation and troubleshooting issues