Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSE - worth it?

Are the MCSE exams worth it anymore?

I'm really thinking about doing mine but everyone I speak to says that they're pretty much worthless now and my money would be better spent elewhere. I'm not completely convinced and would still really like to do them but though I would seek opinions from people who really know their stuff

I have about 5 years experience in IT, first 2 were very low down in the chain and just basic maintenance and the last 3 have been dealing with all manner of systems including 2000, XP, Vista, server 2k3 etc. Would it be worth me putting in the time and money to do it?

Thanks

Re: MCSE - worth it?

IMHO, yes
    Server 2003 will be around for a few years yet, so there is still a requirement for support staff for it. Also, "MCSE" is a known quantity whereas "MCITP in ......" needs explaining to management, recruiters etc.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

IMHO: MCSE + Experience = $$

Comment

Well.. Today I finished my mcse + security and yes it was worth it, at least for me.
        Right now I'm going to upgrade my mcse to MCITP
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

That's enough persuasion for me

Congratulations on finishing Dumber I've been reading through some thread of yours and seen you mentioned quite a lot on here.

I'm just looking at where to start now, any tips? This place seems to be pretty handy and then I've found the first set of books on amazon here and then I guess it would be get the single ones as and when needed?

Comment

Sounds good
            However I would start with Vista or XP. Why? The client one is the easiest.
            If I could choose do Vista. You can use that one later on to upgrade
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Ok thanks. Tbh I think the XP one will be the most relevant to me as there are only about 5 Vista machines in total in all the networks I deal with, the other 200 or so are XP. I'm happy to do the Vista one later on afterwards or even if I do both the XP and Vista one?

Comment

Hi all,

I prepare for MCSE

Thanks,
                sheik

Comment

Originally posted by sheik View Post
                  Hi all,

I prepare for MCSE

Thanks,
                  sheik
                  Good luck!
                  Please do tell us how you get on with the exams, and do ask for help and advice if you need it (as long as you dont ask for braindumps or the exam answers )
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Anything that you do where you learn something new is worth it.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think MCSE is still worth it, just check the adds!
                      MCTS & MCITP are not that common yet in IT.

I will upgrade my MCSA to MCSE first before upgrading to MCITP.
                      MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
                      A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Thanks guys

Definitely gonna go for it now. Just got to wait to order a new mobo and CPU and then I can use my existing comp for ESX to do all the labs etc on

The plan is to work through to MCSA and then onto MCSE and then after that onto ESX. Going to be a fair old slog but I'm very excited about doing it all.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Ciro View Post
                          I think MCSE is still worth it, just check the adds!
                          MCTS & MCITP are not that common yet in IT.

I will upgrade my MCSA to MCSE first before upgrading to MCITP.
                          Thats because there relatively knew and the accronyms havent caught on yet. BUT the 2007 MCTS as well as experience in that field does have alot of value currently. I scored 100% in my exam which was the highest score i have ever achieved. I was quite pleased with myself and surprised myself that i knew it so well. Then again iv been working with exchange 2007 since the product was in beta.

Comment

Originally posted by gotenks1321 View Post
                            Thanks guys

Definitely gonna go for it now. Just got to wait to order a new mobo and CPU and then I can use my existing comp for ESX to do all the labs etc on

The plan is to work through to MCSA and then onto MCSE and then after that onto ESX. Going to be a fair old slog but I'm very excited about doing it all.

Thanks again
                            Thats probably overkill.. GSX will do or Vmware Workstation. Then again the new version of Infrastructure ESXI is FREE and has an amazingly small thumbprint. (MS have also introduced Hyper-V as a standalone wihich is also FREE) .But is fairly limited in terms of the HAL it supports.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_systems_guide.pdf

Either way get some virtual machines running! Mainframe is the future!!

Comment

Working...
                            X