mcse path

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcse path

I'm currently studying for my MCSE and have started studying for the 70-290 exam already. I have been working with Windows for 4 years now as desktop support and systems admin.I have the MS press books or the core exams so far and testout software for all the exams except the xp or vista exam ,I'm still not sure which exam I want to take from those two.How difficult are the exams to pass? I've heard that some of the material tested is useless as I would never use it.Do you have any tips on passing the exams the first time?
    MCITP: EA

MCITP: SA

Re: mcse path

The only tip you will need if you have proper experience:

Do NOT overthink your answer

Answer exactly what the question wants you to.

I have a hard time thinking of an example..

Let's say you were doing an SQL exam and there was a question saying "Bob's donut shop wants to take a full backup on sunday and minimize backup time on every other day of the week. Bob doesnt want to lose more than 1 day of data"

You could think the good answer would be to do Differentials, as it's faster to restore, but you would probably be wrong, as that doesn't exactly answer ONLY what the question is looking for: How do you MINIMIZE the backup time

Oh and to answer your question: Take the Vista one, at least you might learn something new about Bitlocker, UAC etc!
    Last edited by gepeto; 11th July 2008, 18:14. Reason: XP or Vista
    VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Well most of my real world experience is on the desktop side but I have server experience just no where near as much.I have a small network built at home for study purposes.Some of the stuff in the 290 book I already knew,picked up a few tricks to what I already knew,and some stuff just plan knew to me like AD administration from the command line.I will consider the vista exam too being as I will probably upgrade to server 2008 eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by texasit View Post
        I'm currently studying for my MCSE and have started studying for the 70-290 exam already. I have been working with Windows for 4 years now as desktop support and systems admin.I have the MS press books or the core exams so far and testout software for all the exams except the xp or vista exam ,I'm still not sure which exam I want to take from those two.How difficult are the exams to pass? I've heard that some of the material tested is useless as I would never use it.Do you have any tips on passing the exams the first time?
        While I'm not entirely sure which exams you're considering, I'm going to assume that you're torn between the 70-270 and the 70-620.

If it was between the two, I say just grab the 620. The skills will be relevant longer. However, there is another option. You could grab the 271 and 272 which will get you the MCDST cert on XP (which isn't going away anytime soon). Then, you could take the 70-621 upgrade exam which is an amalgamation of the 70-620 and 70-622 exams. This will not only upgrade your MCDST to the new MCITP:Enterprise Support Technician certification, but will also act as your 620 for any bigger certification that needs it. So, for three exams you'll get two certs and credit for others as well (the 621 will count as the 620 for the client OS test for your MCSE and MCITP:EA and the MCDST will count as an elective for your MCSE). You should also know that since the 621 is an amalgamation of the 620 and 622, it's pretty much just like taking two exams in one sitting (but for the price of one). A little strenuous, but doable.

I hope you're not confused. If you've been doing desktop support for 4 years, you should blow right through the 271 and 272.
        Last edited by Nonapeptide; 11th July 2008, 23:43.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
          While I'm not entirely sure which exams you're considering, I'm going to assume that you're torn between the 70-270 and the 70-620.

If it was between the two, I say just grab the 620. The skills will be relevant longer. However, there is another option. You could grab the 271 and 272 which will get you the MCDST cert on XP (which isn't going away anytime soon). Then, you could take the 70-621 upgrade exam which is an amalgamation of the 70-620 and 70-622 exams. This will not only upgrade your MCDST to the new MCITP:Enterprise Support Technician certification, but will also act as your 620 for any bigger certification that needs it. So, for three exams you'll get two certs and credit for others as well (the 621 will count as the 620 for the client OS test for your MCSE and MCITP:EA and the MCDST will count as an elective for your MCSE). You should also know that since the 621 is an amalgamation of the 620 and 622, it's pretty much just like taking two exams in one sitting (but for the price of one). A little strenuous, but doable.

I hope you're not confused. If you've been doing desktop support for 4 years, you should blow right through the 271 and 272.

Well my plan was to take as follows

70-290
          70-291
          70-293
          70-294
          70-284
          70-297
          and either the 70-620 0r 70-270.(probably 70-620)

I see what you were saying about the MCDST and the 70-621 it counting as an elective for the MCSE and the client software requirement.I'll consider itI'll do Vista for sure but the MCDST I will have to consider.I want to get more on the server side.Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

just a small note regarding MCDST , you need to pass 2 exams , for MCSE it counts as 1...

your prefered way is the most common way that candidates use,

270-620... XP s VISTA, Vista is a better way, because if you decide to take upgrade exams for WS 08 than you have to do it (to be server admin)

good luck

Comment

thanks for all your help.I heard the 291 was real hard.Should take all the core exams one after the other or can I save the 291 for last?

Comment

You can save 291 for last however a few weeks ago I took 70-291 and I found it rather easy.
                see here: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=25434
                Although I need to say I have quite a lot of experience with RRAS and DNS.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

thanks for all your help.I heard the 291 was real hard.Should take all the core exams one after the other or can I save the 291 for last?
                  as Dumber said
                  219 is straight forward if you know your staff , make sure you know DNS, DHCP and IPSEC well...

have a look also in the below link :
                  http://mcpmag.com/reviews/exams/arti...itorialsID=102

good luck

Comment

Thanks for the links I will look at them when it comes time for the 291 exam.I don't have alot of exp with DNS but I have some.My main fear is subnetting, that was a problem back in college and I guess its back to haunt me now lol.Would I be ok with my blue ms press book on the 291 exam and my testout videos on the 291? I heard that the testout videos are good but that a few are not very informative like the 293 I think.Thanks for all your help again guys!

Comment

Subnetting is not as big anymore in 70-291 as it used to be in 70-216
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Thanks for the links I will look at them when it comes time for the 291 exam.I don't have alot of exp with DNS but I have some.My main fear is subnetting, that was a problem back in college and I guess its back to haunt me now lol.Would I be ok with my blue ms press book on the 291 exam and my testout videos on the 291? I heard that the testout videos are good but that a few are not very informative like the 293 I think.Thanks for all your help again guys!
                        MS Press books are generally pretty good. I find that the most value comes from the Measure Up practice exams that are included. Use them and then when you're finished... use them again! MS Press exam Training Kit books can tend to be a little dry, but I've never encountered a truly bad one yet. You should be just fine with the 291 book. I was able to pass the 291 on the first try.

FYI, avoid Exam Cram books if you're not already familiar with the exam's topics. They're intended for folks that are knowledgable, but just need a refresher or need to have their mind ready for the exact topics that the exam covers. Not that I think you're un-knowledgable. However, you said that you're just starting out with the server-side of things. As such, you probably need more learning than someone like Dumber. Oh, and Exam Crams are also known for being inacurate and full of typos. (EDIT: Does anyone find it amusing that I misspelled 'inaccurate' just as I was complaining about Exam Cram having typos? )

Whenever you are considering purchasing a technical book, always read the reviews from places like Amazon.

Let us know how your exam turns out!
                        Last edited by Nonapeptide; 14th July 2008, 19:14.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        -------------------------------
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I appreicate all your help! I have server knowledge but not as much as on the desktop side.I know I have alot to learn even though I have alot of knowledge already.I read amazon before I bought my books and everyone pointed to the ms press books so I bought those.I thought the sybex books would be good but they got some bad reviews.I tried the simulator that sybex offers for windows 2003 core exams and I didn't really like it to much it didn't seem to cover alot of the topics well.For the 200 you pay for it I would say you are better buying the ms press books.
                          Anyway guys I will let you know how my exams go I'm hoping to be able to do one exam every two months or so and I'm working on the 290 first.I'm hoping to do the 290 maybe in august but no later than sept. Thanks again everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                            As such, you probably need more learning than someone like Dumber.
                            Oh well
                            I already have my job since 2000. I started with NT4 later on 2000 and 2003.
                            I played quite a lot with it. I learned quite advanced troubleshooting on it.
                            I've bounced my head more then once against the wall but I've learned a lot of it

The only suggestion i have:
                            Buy the MS Press books.
                            Practice every objective in the book.. multiple times.
                            Make sure you can find everything, every screen, every bullet etc blind.
                            Don't stop if you get bored.

If you think you already know it, practice it again.
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands

Comment

thanks I will keep your suggestion in mind.I wish I was further into my certs I still need to take all 7 exams. Well good luck to you too looks like you are half way there.

Comment

Working...
                              X