Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good source to study from

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a good source to learn from to be a better System A\E.
    my limited knowledge in IT I acquired in my service in the army(OJT, and autodidact)
    I would love for some info what to get to be a better System personal.

thanks alot

Re: Good source to study from

Welcome!

What OS are you working with? Do you want to specialize? What's your budget for education?

MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
    A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

What OS are you working with?
      When I was in service I handled Windows based OS, meaning, Windows Server 2k3 enterprise R2 and Windows Server 2k. at home I installed Linux Ubunto Server on VMware server.

Do you want to specialize?
      Is that a question for Yes or No?

What's your budget for education?
      Pretty much none. as I said before I was dismissed not long ago, so my pockets ain't full with money to say the very least, but I wouldn't mind to spend a few bucks on a good 1 or 2 books, even CBT'S should be taken to consider.

thanks alot

Comment

Well... I think with the blue MS books + CBT nuggets + expierence you can pass the exams.

Offcourse you have to put in lot's of hours also... Maybe you should start with the MCDST certification/credential?

(BTW: I'm former army as well)
        MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
        A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

I would try to find a job if you could with relation to the field you want. 75% of what's on the tests you will experience at some point in your day to day duties.

It's an easy way to study....and you can earn some bucks. I'm sure with your experience with W2k3 that you should find an employer with a help desk posistion open, maybe a junior admin.

MS books are great. They come with a trial of Server. Use that and a the free copy of Virtual PC from MS website, you should be able to get some good training.
          MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Actually I am in search for a junior System position.
            Can you please give more info about these ms books and where i could buy them in israel perhaps? by the way, any particular CBT publisher recommended?

thanks alot for your comments guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Msys View Post
              Actually I am in search for a junior System position.
              Can you please give more info about these ms books and where i could buy them in israel perhaps? by the way, any particular CBT publisher recommended?

thanks alot for your comments guys.
              Jr. Admin with what OS primarily? Windows, Linux, Unix, Solaris, OS X, FreeDOS, OS 2 Warp? =) Do you have any experience?

My best advice to you would be to get a Safari account. take a look at the different account types and see what they have to offer. I've had one for abot a year and am happy with it.

Anything written by O'Reilly is good (okay, so there may be a few exceptions).

Understand that certain publishers may be known for publishing good material on certain topics while other topics may not be their strong point. Always do a Google search and read reviews on Amazon, Safari, and other tech sites. New Riders, No Starch Press, Addison Wesley Professional, Que, and Peachpit Press are some good publishers. Some publishers are known for their specific line of books like Que's "Special Edition" series and Sams "Unleashing" series.

Exam certification books are okay to learn a topic from, but once you use that to get the framework down, then pick up a more advanced book from one of the above publishers. Of course, hands on experience is the best way to learn. Get yourself a project (wether from work or something on your own time) and see it through to the end. E.g. If you wan to know more about *nix and databases and networking in general, then create a LAMP server and smack some network monitoring software on it that all needs to use a backend database and a front end web management interface.

Oh, and you do know that as an It person Google is your second brain, right? In fact, some days it may be your only functioning brain. =)

Where do your likes and dislikes lie as well as your strengths and weaknesses? Do you like security, networking, Windows, *nix, database, web stuff, management, etc.?

Keep it up!
              Last edited by Nonapeptide; 6th June 2008, 01:55.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Ciro View Post
                Well... I think with the blue MS books + CBT nuggets + expierence you can pass the exams.

Offcourse you have to put in lot's of hours also... Maybe you should start with the MCDST certification/credential?

(BTW: I'm former army as well)
                the above statement is good for no -buget
                but if you can effort definitly go to a CPLS ( learning solution partner) training center...

do lot of labs, sims ( if no lab) and prac questions....
                good luck

Comment

Originally posted by cemarzu View Post
                  but if you can effort definitly go to a CPLS ( learning solution partner) training center...
                  A very sweeping statement that, IMHO, fails to acknowledge that people learn in different ways.

For some the instructor led course is appropriate, for others, self study is the way ahead. There is (again IMHO) no single right way.

I will reemphasise the three legs of the tripod:
                  Theoretical Learning
                  Practice Exams
                  Real World Experience

(and the greatest of these is Real World Experience)

Good Luck!
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

For me it depends on the subject what I prefer.
                    For Microsoft products I prefer self study. Just give me a book or CBT nuggets and I'm fine.
                    On the other hand for Cisco as an example I prefer training.

Why the difference? Because I'm more experienced in Microsoft products then in Cisco products.
                    So I disagree with you that self study is a "poor mans" solution
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by cemarzu View Post

do lot of labs, sims ( if no lab) and prac questions....
                      good luck
                      Why would someone A) Pay a lot of money and B) Waste a week of their time on learning stuff they already know when all they have to do is review exam objectives?

Most MS exams are easy when done by people who have worked with the product, why waste thousands on training..

I recommend training if you get thrown a project on something you don't know jack about and need to get kickstarted the right way however!
                      VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Personally I don't recommend the MCDST - if you want to become MCSA/MCSE afterwards you still have to take 70-270 or an equivalent client OS exam. The MCDST is two exams but will only count as an elective towards MCSA/E.

Nothing beats real world experience IMO, but the Microsoft books are pretty good and are often available second hand from people who have passed the exams. I also quite like the study guides available from cramsession.com for free. They will spam you quite a bit after you register, but you also often get free command reference guides, practice exams etc which are useful.

I would expect if you are reasonably familiar with Windows XP and 2K3 Server that the 70-270 and 70-290 exams will be no problem to you. I passed both easily after a couple of weeks of study, most of what is in them is stuff you will know from using them. Of course you will have to decide if it is better to go with Server 2003 or Server 2008 - I would expect it will be several years yet before 2003 is widely replaced.
                        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

@ Dumber -- which resources/books do you use for your Cisco training ?

I don't have much exp with Cisco, but have been working with internetworking for over 7 years on different manufacture hardware/code

Comment

Hboogz,
                            i've used the books of Cisco press and combined it with GNS3
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                            X