Bad certifications effects..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad certifications effects..

Now that i gain my MCSE 2003 i can finally concentrate better on daily work on my company and start to recover some practical experience and a sort of, like i call it, "fast approch to solution".

I think that knowledge is fundamental in IT but too study can be "dangerous" because all that we need to face daily issues is "think fast to solution" rather than analyzing theorical aspects or trying to logically reconstruct the facts based esclusively on what we study on books.

This is especially true when systems goes down or strange symptoms appear somewhere on the network preventing your ceo to surf the internet and the time goes on inexorably!

Some of you have experienced some negative effects derived from too study or changes in their self-approch for to solve daily issue?
    I'm really interested about this form of "MCSE Paper" syndrome.
    Come on ppl and give your opinions here!
    Regards,
    Tr3nga

Re: Bad certifications effects..

that's why RHCE involves hands on problem fixing in a limited timeframe, instead of pMCSE braindumping
    ________
    Mercedes-benz om642 engine
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:43.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
      that's why RHCE involves hands on problem fixing in a limited timeframe, instead of pMCSE braindumping
      Isnt that the same in relation to preventing downtime as much as possible???

You could (quick)fix 1 problem and create 3 more problems without taking your time to solve a problem with a helicopterview...
      MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
      A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

any problem can be solved in an unlimited amount of time. but most of the standard things can be brought to a quick resolution. that is called professionalism
        ________
        NO2 VAPORIZER REVIEWS
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:45.

Comment

any problem can be solved in an unlimited amount of time. but most of the standard things can be brought to a quick resolution. that is called professionalism
          Repeating standard solutions could be called "braindumping" as well...
          A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

well, show me a braindumper who can manually write dhcpd.conf for several VLANs, or named.conf for several VPS domains
            ________
            Vaporgenie Reviews
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:45.

Comment

ops.. i think some hot flames are passing over our heads..

Comment

No flame intended...

Maintaining servers is not like bikeriding where you need feel the changing road conditions and your bike.

When you know the "MS basics" & theory you can maintain almost everything without serious problems.

Hmm... I hope you know what I mean...
                A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

almost everything MS, and MS is far from being everything
                  ________
                  HASH
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:47.

Comment

In order to do some deacent troubleshooting, you need to know how it all works. What is happening behind the scenes.

If you do the certification the good way (not using braindumps), you get a good idea how it works. Which will help you to solve the problem faster if it should arise. But certification is nothing without the expereince, and peronal technical comprehention.

I am maybe a freak, but i like all peaces of the puzzle to fit together. Meaning, if i have a problem i'll try to fix it. When it is fixed, i want to understand why it happend and what caused it. When i found an answer to all these questions, i had a great day at work. While some people are glad to have the issue fixed without really carring about what caused it in the first place.

At the end it all comes down to this:

Who you are, what you want to be and what you want to achieve in your life.

Some people are happy doing First line support calls at a helpdesk, while others invest to get further.
                    [Powershell]
                    Start-DayDream
                    Set-Location Malibu Beach
                    Get-Drink
                    Lay-Back
                    Start-Sleep
                    Wake-Up!
                    Resume-Service
                    Write-Warning
                    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

think thrice, measure twice and cut once

(instincts can be good for some things but in general its not wise to rely on them just use them as guiding points through your conscious knowledge)

(braindumps get you the paper but hard work gets you the knowledge, certs are a bit of a joke now though, ive known people to get 1000 on exams but have never actually installed an os, but saying that if you can memorise enough of 70-291 to pass you should pick it up on the job quick enough)

"but it was working ok yesterday" , in their little minds that sentence makes sense
                      Last edited by SML; 22nd May 2008, 17:01.

Comment

well, show me a braindumper who can manually write dhcpd.conf for several VLANs, or named.conf for several VPS domains
                        Yah... right... Do not let him fool you! both dhcpd.conf and named.conf come with comments on any decent Linux distro and (I could be wrong, as it's been a while), there are example files to get you up and running (and man pages have examples too).

Manually editing sendmail.cf - that's something you can be proud of (please let it die! Hail Postfix!).
                        (yah, right! only crazy people use sendmail!)
                        Guy Teverovsky
                        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

do not agree RHCE has dumps as well, just seacrh for iT!!!

it deped on the exam candidate it self, if they want to study they will, if they want to memorise it, again they can but what about after!!!!?

Comment

Originally posted by Tr3nga View Post
                            Now that i gain my MCSE 2003 i can finally concentrate better on daily work on my company and start to recover some practical experience and a sort of, like i call it, "fast approch to solution".

I think that knowledge is fundamental in IT but too study can be "dangerous" because all that we need to face daily issues is "think fast to solution" rather than analyzing theorical aspects or trying to logically reconstruct the facts based esclusively on what we study on books.

This is especially true when systems goes down or strange symptoms appear somewhere on the network preventing your ceo to surf the internet and the time goes on inexorably!

Some of you have experienced some negative effects derived from too study or changes in their self-approch for to solve daily issue?
                            I'm really interested about this form of "MCSE Paper" syndrome.
                            Come on ppl and give your opinions here!
                            Regards,
                            Tr3nga
                            I dont see what the negatives can be if you are learning. I started doing the NT4 MCSE back in 1997 when i was doing electronics test and repair at the time. Back then there was a ton of firms using it as nothing more than a scam to make big money out of those that were willing to invest some time and money in furthering there careers. Iv seen the windows and computing scene change drastically over the years from the first multi threading home computers like the Amiga to even further back with the original commodore series when i used to program in BASIC for fun as a kid.

Do i value the MCSE course track? Yes and no. There are paper MCSE`s in abundance throughout IT. I have refused point blank to sit any course for anything including certifications like ITIL and Cisco and have always preferred to do it my way. Has that benefited me? Immensely. Experience cant be taught but years of persistence augmented by the MCSE track have enabled me to obtain the wages i believe im worth as well as placing me a level above my peers because of my dedication as well as my hobbyist mentality that iv had for electronics and IT since i was small.

Fault finding and diagnosis depends entirely on how analytical you are. Coming from an electronics background i found it far easier to absorb. I believe a good tech should know what the problem is in a matter of minutes and have a resolution in place within hours depending on the scope of the problem. That though comes with time.

Comment

a true MCSE as opposed to a paper MCSE will be able to take the knowledge gained during studying which relates very much to a fictious "Microsoft" world and balance that with what is actually happening in their environment to apply the best solution which will almost always be a hybrid solution. The same applies for other certs I'm sure but it is very much evident with pMCSE's we're seeing applying at my place of work.

Personally, I started the MCSE track nice and early but took a few years off in the middle before taking it up again. One reason was that I felt I was becoming a pMCP and able to reguritate the MS solution without understanding the underlying reasoning. After the break I'm back in studying mode and find that a lot of the exams I would never have attempted a few years back are lot easier when looked at from the behind the scenes angle.

I like KillerBe's approach of not just solving the problem but finding out why it happened in the first place and solving the cause rather than the symptom. I try to take this approach as much as possible and encourage my fellow admins to do this too.
                              This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

Working...
                              X