Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study Habbits

Hello,

What are the study habbits of everyone else out there going for their MCSE? This has been something I have been pursuing this dreaded Cert for many years now, and I am only 2 exams in. I have passed my client and server exam (took the server exam a couple years ago) but I have the dreaded 70-291 staring me in the face. I have read books, then gone on to something else never really finishing. Subnetting is definitly my weakpoint, esp since I don't use it AT ALL. I also have some wierd fear of failing because I havent failed an exam yet, and alot of people have failed 70-291. Also it's not like I am not in the field, I've been in IT for 8 years now with a lot of AD experience, exchange, Isa, etc.

Anyone else's study habbits would be appreciated so I can see if any would work to get me to stay focused and actually write the rest of my mcse tests.

Thanks for listening!

Re: Study Habbits

The same here with 70-291, this is my last one for MCSA. I really miss hands on expierence on this one. Subnetting & changing DNS settings etc. are not part of my daily job.

I failed MS Exchange 2007 2 times but made it the 3rd time. It is no shame to not pass once in a while.

I followed an evening course 2 times a week for 3 weeks based on the blue books lead by a MCT.
    We got a Transcender login for online training...

I just finished MS Exchange (70-236) & MS Vista (70-620) 2 weeks ago, next week I'll start preparing for the 70-291 exam...

Anyway, good luck with your certification!!!
    MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
    A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

I usually read a book pretty fast if I already have some experience ( I review chapter reviews etc) or not as fast if I have no experience (and I do the practice stuff then).

After that I do some practice tests.

With second shot, as soon as I feel REMOTELY confident, I just take the test.

I mean what's the worse that can happen?

And I passed on the first time for the last 3 exams I did, as the actual exam was much easier than the practice exams, simply because I was taking my time to read properly, which I don't do well in practice exams.
      VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

With 8 years of practical experience in the topics that you listed, you shuld eat the 70-291 for breakfast. It wasn't that difficult as I recall. It's bark was definitely worse than its bite.

My advice is to schedule the test and determine to not move the test date at all. Settle down and read your study material and then take the test.

Oh, and make sure to register for the free second shot promotion. You have until May 31st to take both your first shot and (if you need it) you're second shot.

Let us know how it turns out.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for the info on the 2nd chance, that may have gotten my butt into gear. I just started actively studying my 70-291 tonight, mainly focusing on subnetting (by far my biggest weakness, it was back in collage too). I'm using some time management techniques and with the rate I am going I should have the MS Press book finished by week's end, with a goal of taking the exam around the 27th / 28th. That way if I do need to retake I could get it in before the 30th. I'll keep you posted on how everything goes!

Thanks!

Comment

I want to take the test (70-291) 30 May, when I fail I can do the Second Shot in June...
            At least that's what I understand...
            Well... I really hope to just pass it and become MCSA.

Untill the 30 May i will "cherry pick" all DNS, DHCP, etc. issues/tickets to prepare myself better.
            A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Originally posted by Ciro View Post
              I want to take the test (70-291) 30 May, when I fail I can do the Second Shot in June...

I hope thats "IF", not "WHEN"
              A positive attitude works wonders!
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Euh... Or : ... when I should fail ...

Offcourse I hope to pass in one time but you never know...
                A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Well the good news is Ive been studying pretty hard, bad news is work got busy and I will prolly not be able to hitup the test b4 the first. Got to love consulting...

Comment

Euh... Or : ... when I should fail ...

Offcourse I hope to pass in one time but you never know...
                    Well I did *NOT* faill and passed the exam last friday with a score off about 870/1000.

70-290 was the final exam to become MCSA
                    A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

70-290 was the final exam to become MCSA
                      Congratulations !! Well done!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

Congratulations
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by yedi View Post
                          Hello,

What are the study habbits of everyone else out there going for their MCSE? This has been something ..............!
                          the best study habit is "puting your hands in the computer" and read also your material... do lot of prac exams and success will follow you

congrats for passing the exams as well

Comment

Working...
                          X