X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed 70-271

Passed my first exam yesterday, 70-271 - first of the MCDST track

Next is the 70-272, then the MSCE track

I didnt realise there was 23 exams for the MSCE!

Re: Passed 70-271

Originally posted by Robbo View Post
    I didnt realise there was 23 exams for the MSCE!
    huh??

Only 7 mate, and depending on what electives you take you can get MCSA first

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I thought so! No wonder Im so confused (and had a small heart attack when I saw them all)

Im doing it via online self paced learning

Heres all of the listed courses under my MSCE track

70-290 Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
      70-291 Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
      70-293 Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
      70-294 Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
      70-270 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional
      70-210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
      70-297 Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure
      70-298 Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network
      70-089 Planning, Deploying, and Managing Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003
      70-227 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000, Enterprise Edition
      70-228 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition
      70-229 Designing and Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition
      70-232 Implementing and Maintaining Highly Available Web Solutions with Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Technologies and Microsoft Application Center 2000
      70-281 Planning, Deploying, and Managing an Enterprise Project Management Solution
      70-284 Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
      70-285 Designing a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Organization
      70-299 Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network
      70-350 Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004
      70-431 TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005: Implementation and Maintenance
      70-620 TS: Microsoft Windows Vista Client, Configuring
      70-624 TS: Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops
      70-630 TS: Office SharePoint Server 2007, Configuring,
      70-631 TS: Microsoft SharePoint Services 3.0, Configuring

I'm guessing the majority of these are electives then

Which exams will I need to pass to get my MCSE?

Comment

Have a quick look her for example
        http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.mspx

Specializations
        MCSE: Messaging on Windows Server 2003
        MCSE: Security on Windows Server 2003
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Oh!

BTW, Well done on passing the exam. Keep the momentum going and get book in for the next one. You can always re-schedule if you think your not quite ready.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Congratulations! Another DST on the way!

As said, the MCSE is only 7 exams from a fairly large menu

Note also you can, after your MCDST, do a single exam (70-621 IIRC) to get:
            MCTS: Vista Configuration
            MCITP: Enterprise Support
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              Have a quick look her for example
              http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.mspx

Specializations
              MCSE: Messaging on Windows Server 2003
              MCSE: Security on Windows Server 2003
              Useful site! Thanks for that

Can I do more than one Core / elective exam on top of what is required? I like the idea of doing a bit more than whats required if it would help

My 'rough plan' is as follows

70-290
              70-291
              70-293
              70-294

Then do my 70-270 to begin with (looks very similar to the 70-271 I passed)

70-297

70-350

Then, I would look to do the 'new' courses (if it would be beneficial) say the 70-620 and 70-624, to cover my bases for vista. What do you think of this idea?

Seeing as the 70-621 isnt listed in my curricular, I will ask if I can do this after I get my MCDST

Comment

You can do as many electives as you like, but (unless you pick up the correct ones for "messaging" or "security", you will not get extra certifications.

70-621 is not an elective but the DST is (note it does not replace 70-270 which is similar but a bit harder IMHO)

Since 620 is one of the client OS options, it would be interesting to see if 621 (which gives the equivalent MCTS) will also count as an option to 620
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Passed my 70-272 as of the 29th of May

So Im officially a MCDST! Certainly a mouthful for sure!!

Onto the MCSE (fanfare)

Comment

LOL!

Good job!
                    MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
                    A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Congratulations! beer:
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X