Recommendations on study material? MCSA-MCSE 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on study material? MCSA-MCSE 2003

Well it's about time I start focusing on getting certified. I've been working in the IT industry for a little over a year and I think I have enough practical experience to start on the MCSA/MCSE track(plus I convinced the boss to help pay for training materials and my first try for the tests). Well, I hope I have enough experience .

I'm tempted to go with the Microsoft Training materials
    a la http://search.barnesandnoble.com/MCS...ame=custreview

But....I would like to get other peoples opinions on training material before I go and drop a couple hundred dollars.

Let me know if you have any recommendations or suggestions. Any help is very appreciated.
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Re: Recommendations on study material? MCSA-MCSE 2003

I started the MCSA certification last december.

We started with evening trainings from a MCT based on het famous blue books.
    To "train" for the exams we used a online training at Transcender.com.

70-290 (Server 2003) was pretty easy and could be passed on expierence combined with the training/blue books.

70-236 (Exchange 2007) was pretty difficult, loads of new stuff. With no expierence pretty hard.

70-620 (Vista) is easy when you have worked with it for some time and worked your way through the blue books.

70-291 ... Still have to pass this one...

Anyway... *WITH* a (evening) course & the blue MS books & the Transcender training you should be able to pass the above exams...

Anyway... Good luck I hope you will learn a lot and pass all exams!!!
    MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
    A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Thanks Ciro, I'm glad you had some luck with Microsoft's Training Kits. I just picked up the blue books for 70-290 and 70-291.

I'm going for the 70-290 first hoping for a quick victory to keep morale up.

Comment

Okay, well, good luck & keep us posted with the results!
        MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
        A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

The "blue" books are good, even though they do occasionally get a bit of criticism from some people. I used them to get my MCSE along with Sybex books. The Sybex books were a little shorter and generalized, more conceptual. The blue books are more detailed and give more examples that can be done. Good luck.
          blog.techscrawl.com

Comment

The Microsoft books are good.

I used Virtual PC and the trial version of Server 2003 to complete a lot of my tests.

It worked out good for me.
            MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

As in other posts, I work very well on a combination of "official" microsoft materials (MOCs or Self Paced) plus "Exam Cram" books by Que

Remember
              1) Trainining
              plus
              2) Practice exams
              plus
              3) Experience
              equals
              Success

Experience is, IMHO, the most important!
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What I find really helpful is experience combined with the Microsoft Press book. I read them at a good pace, and I make sure to review all the "exam tips" - you'd be surprised at how close they are to actual questions sometimes!

And most of all, do NOT overthink your answers! If the question wants you to say that RAID0 is the best level of raid since performance is the only thing that matters, do not start thinking about ways of making it as fast and more redundant ! A lot of questions in the MCITPBA are tricky in the way that the answer is not always recommended practice, so make sure you have read everything properly !
                VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  As in other posts, I work very well on a combination of "official" microsoft materials (MOCs or Self Paced) plus "Exam Cram" books by Que

Remember
                  1) Trainining
                  plus
                  2) Practice exams
                  plus
                  3) Experience
                  equals
                  Success

Experience is, IMHO, the most important!
                  I completely agree.

IMHO, certifications are just a way to validate your training and more importantly your experience. The certification without experience means very little to me.

The practice tests are a great way for me to see how far I've come and see where I need to do some more work and studying.

Comment

Working...
                  X