MCSE 2K3 track inquire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSE 2K3 track inquire

Im getting ready to start the studying/testing process for the mcse 2003. I have my 270 and I think, from what Ive read, my security+ satisfies one of the elective requirements. My question is, how does Microsoft know that Im working towards my MCSE instead of just taking the individual exams? Do I get and MCP cert for each exam 290, 291, 293, 294, 297 or does Microsoft issue the MCSE cert when I finish all the requirements. I guess another question is, is there somewhere I need to register with MS to plan this out or inform them of what Im doing? Thanks for any comments. Also, what is a good testing option: take 1 test at a time, review for a month or 2 and then take another, that is if Im lucky enough to pass the first time. Or try to knock 2 or so out at one time and so on. Thanks again.

Re: MCSE 2K3 track inquire

Each exam is technically a separate MCP exam, passing any one of them makes you an MCP. You become an MCP one time and the exams count toward your MCSA and MCSE. You become an MCSA and MCSE one time for each "platform" (Windows 2000, Windows 2003, etc.). Microsoft tracks all this for you and awards the appropriate certification when you pass the required exams. Once you pass your first exam (270 in your case) you are an MCP and should get documentation and an MCP card in the mail. You can then use your MCP ID and create a login on the MS MCP web site and download your transcript as well as track your progress and make use of a wide variety of resources on the MCP web site.

Comment

Hello
      Joe is right with that.
      They have changed the certificate issuing though, they don't automatically issue them, you now have to order/request them. I think you order it through the learning portal but I could be wrong.

Also with your Security+, once you complete your first MCP you will have your Microsoft candidate ID. You have this as you have completed 270? If not contact Microsoft.
      You will have to contact Comptia (with your Comptia ID) to have them notify Microsoft that you also have their certification.

Microsoft page on this: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/partners.mspx

Comptia form to do all the above: http://certification.comptia.org/mcsa/default.aspx

Microsoft MCSA FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/faq.mspx

Hope that helps some.
      I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
      Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

hops33n eloquently queried:
        Also, what is a good testing option: take 1 test at a time, review for a month or 2 and then take another, that is if Im lucky enough to pass the first time. Or try to knock 2 or so out at one time and so on. Thanks again.
        That all depends on the resiliency of your brain. If you already know the subject material, it may be good to simply read an Exam Cram over a week or two and take the test right away. If you pass, then move on to the next one. As far as taking multiples in the same day... that's only for the very brave, experienced, and slightly deranged. The closest I've come was two exams in two days, and those were Beta exams so I had no pressure to pass. I still wouldn't recommend it unless you already knew everything about Microsoft networks and just needed the certification as a formality.

Do you already know a good amount about Windows networking or are you learning as you go? If you fall in the latter category, maybe consider learning the subject material just for the sake of getting good at your vocation and don't focus too much on the cert. Those will virtually take care of themselves. Cert hunting can lead to burn-out. Trust me. I know.

In short: If you know your stuff already, I recommend taking 'em one at a time, but don't drag the things out for months. Set a date, commit to it, and study well. If you're not so confident, read some books that aren't geared toward a certification (O'Reilly and New Riders are good publishing houses, for example) and get some good hands on experience at work or in a home lab first.

Maebe thoughtfully opined:
        They have changed the certificate issuing though, they don't automatically issue them, you now have to order/request them. I think you order it through the learning portal but I could be wrong.
        Yep. I nearly missed getting a cert package because I naively assumed I'd get it automatically. You go to the MCP Member site, one the left-hand side of the site click on "Program Benefits", and then search for a link titled "Welcome kit and certificates". From there you'll see if you're eligible to receive a welcome kit and then you can choose to have it shipped to you. If you pass enough tests to gain a certification and thusly a welcome kit, it usually takes a few days after passing the last test for the member site to show your eligibility.

hops33n musingly wondered:
        Do I get and MCP cert for each exam 290, 291, 293, 294, 297 or does Microsoft issue the MCSE cert when I finish all the requirements.
        You only get a cert once you pass all of the required exams for that cert.

Unless, of course, you're going for Microsoft's new generation of certs: the MCTSs and MCITPs. In this new scheme, every single exam you pass awards you with a MCTS certification. Accumulate enough MCTSs and take a Pro exam and you'll get an MCITP cert. Confused? Super! As if it wasn't difficult enough for HR departments to keep track of the IT industry's certs. Read more about the new generation of MS certs straight from Microsoft.

Hang in there!

____
        _________
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Hey all, I really appreciate the comments and info, solved my questions!

Comment

Working...
          X