Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certifications...Who's looking?

Hello All,

I'm an MCSE in nt4, 2k, 2k3, and an MCT. I own a networking firm in Wisconsin and I've noticed a relatively disturbing trend in this state.

It seems like clients in this state (WI) don't seem to care if a vendor is Microsoft certified or not. We hold the Certified Partner status for the company, and we hold truckloads of other certs, but we have been finding that clients are assuming that since you work on Microsoft products...you're automatically qualified.

So I ask...is anyone else seeing the same issues in their areas? I know all the good things that come from maintaining the certs, including forcing yourself to dive into areas of the products that you may not use everyday, but I was curious to see if others are seeing this same issue and how they are handling it.

We have more work than we know what to do with because of our experience levels, so that's not an issue. However, I've never had a client say "Oh...your Microsoft certified and that makes all the difference in the world to me" In fact...when the certifcation issues are brought up to a perspective client, I have had people say "I would rather have someone that can do the job...and the cert doesn't mean that a person can do the work I need."

So...what are you seeing out there?

Thanks

TP
    They are an absolute necessity
    0%
    Ahhh..take it or leave it
    0%
    Useless...spend the time on money elsewhere
    0%

i encounterd several customers that said they do not want the SysAdmin that was suppose to handle their system because he wan't MS Certified....
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Well I hold an MCP in Server 2000 but I only got because I was on a Win2k Server course and the exam was thrown in. I didn't stufy for it as it was free. I couldn't care if I had it or not but I'm sure it will come in handy when applying for new jobs.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X