Is MCDST viable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is MCDST viable?

I guess a more in-depth question would be this: Is the MCDST cert something that will benefit me as a tech, or just something nice to put on my resume? Does is actually teach anything helpful, or is it more along the lines of "This is how we think and expect you to do the same."? I have 5 years experience in the field as a Help Desk/PC Support Tech with Networking experience, but would eventually like to become MSCE.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that I'm more geared toward learning concepts and practices that will benefit me as a tech than memorizing a bunch of convoluted facts and figured in order to pass a test. Is the MCDST cert something that I will be able to use everyday?

Re: Is MCDST viable?

Hi Ogrik,
    In your situation, with several years of experience under your belt, I would suggest that the MCDST is more of a certification of your existing knowledge rather than teaching you new skills.

It will count as an elective towards MCSA/E and the exams are probably easier than any of the core exams.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Is MCDST viable?

That was kind of what I'd figured, but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
      X