Get MCSA/MCSE 2003...or wait til' 08?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get MCSA/MCSE 2003...or wait til' 08?

Currently, I only have A+ certification. However, I've been a Microsoft admin for around 4 years now and am wanting to get more certifications(after getting my A+, I sort of "forgot" about certifications and they were never a priority for me).

So, should I go ahead and try and get my MSCA/MSCE for 2003 server, or wait until 08 server? Right now, I'm leaning strongly towards just getting the 03 server for now since many companies will still be using it years from now, but I wanted to get your input.

Also, I was wondering what resources any of you found useful in studying for your MSCA/MSCE? I can easily do a google search and find 100's of resources that are out there, but I was wondering what was useful for those that have already passed the test. I'd be interested to know anything that worked for you, whether it's free or costs money. Thanks!

Re: Get MCSA/MCSE 2003...or wait til' 08?

I can't tell you whether to wait or not but I have a couple thoughts:
    - would it boost your pay in your current job?
    - are you going to be looking for a job as a Windows admin?
    - would it help in getting a promotion?
    - do you feel you need a deeper knowledge of Windows 2003?
    - do you want to prove to yourself that you have the knowledge
    - etc.

Those are some of the questions I would ask myself to make the decision on whether or not to take the tests.

As for what to use if you are going to take the test, I have used MS Press (except the 70-279 book) and Exam Cram books, TechNet website, and labs/on the job experience.

MS Press was very good, I thought, and the Exam Crams were adequate. My one pet peeve about both is that the practice exams on the CDs were filled with erroneous information. This was also the case with the Exam Cram chapter tests.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      - would it boost your pay in your current job?
      Probably not - at least not immediately...

- are you going to be looking for a job as a Windows admin?
      Not anytime soon

- would it help in getting a promotion?
      Yes
      - do you feel you need a deeper knowledge of Windows 2003?
      Yes
      - do you want to prove to yourself that you have the knowledge
      Yes.

As for what to use if you are going to take the test, I have used MS Press (except the 70-279 book) and Exam Cram books, TechNet website, and labs/on the job experience.

MS Press was very good, I thought, and the Exam Crams were adequate. My one pet peeve about both is that the practice exams on the CDs were filled with erroneous information. This was also the case with the Exam Cram chapter tests.
      Thanks for the resource suggestions, I'll definitely have to give those a look. Your help is much appreciated!

Anyone else have any advice/suggestions?

Comment

Yeah - around the study aids, I like the Sybex books a lot; not as dry to read as MS Press and actually amusing sometimes. For Self Test I can't beat Transcenders... I love their similarity to the Microsoft testing environment.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          Yeah - around the study aids, I like the Sybex books a lot; not as dry to read as MS Press and actually amusing sometimes. For Self Test I can't beat Transcenders... I love their similarity to the Microsoft testing environment.
          Thanks! I'll have to check those out as well.

Comment

Hi nickmanderson,

I am also trying to pass out MCSE 2003 , but i heared in jan 2008 MCSE 2k8 is coming ..is it so ???any updates with you ......

Kathy

Comment

Kathy,
              What experience do you have?

Remember that MCSE is designed to validate existing experience, so MS recommend that "MCSE candidates should also have at least one year of experience implementing and administering network operating systems and desktop operating systems."

For experienced MCSE's, 2008 is realistic, but if you are not already an MCSE/A or dont have a lot of experience, probably best to start on the current technology (which will be valid for many years to come)

Also, MCSE will last forever whereas MCITP will have to be renewed every 3 years and lapse when the technology is officially retired. There will be (IIRC) no MCSE in 2008.
              Relevant Links:
              http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...8/default.mspx
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I could be wrong, but I believe that MS is phasing out the MCP and MCSE certs with 2008. I believe that the new certs are MCTS, MCITP, and MCA. Also, the new generation cert will expire when mainstream support for the product you hold the cert in expires. The following link has more info:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...n/default.mspx
                Last edited by joeqwerty; 7th October 2007, 05:41.

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
                  Hi nickmanderson,

I am also trying to pass out MCSE 2003 , but i heared in jan 2008 MCSE 2k8 is coming ..is it so ???any updates with you ......

Kathy
                  Yeah, the new 2008 server is due around January sometime, but I'm thinking 2003 certification will still have much value for years to come, so I think that'll be the direction I go. I'll be starting to study for this ASAP - I think I'm going with Sybex for book resources ATM as I think those most closely align with my needs, but will be keeping my eye out for other resources as well.
                  Last edited by nickmanderson; 8th October 2007, 21:47.

Comment

Folks, all is well with your answers but (most) of you seem to have neglected the fact that there WILL BE NO WINDOWS 2008 MCSA/MCSE certifications.

So, it's either you get your MCSA/MCSE in Windows 2000 BY THE END OF MARCH 2008, then you upgrade with ONE or TWO exams to MCSA/MCSE in Windows 2003, again, BY THE END OF MARCH 2008.

or

You get your MCSA/MCSE in Windows 2003 whenever you want.

After you do either track, you can upgrade your existing MCSA/MCSE 2003 certification to the relevant Windows 2008 MCST/MCITP certifications, if you so please.

Either way, the MCSA/MCSE 2003 will NOT expire anytime soon. The only thing that'll expire is the ability to take the Windows 2000 MCSA/MCSE tests, or the Windows 2000 MCSA/MCSE upgrade to Windows 2003 MCSA/MCSE tests. This will happen by the end of MARCH 2008.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                    X