Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCSE 2003 upgrades booked, Advice anyone?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSE 2003 upgrades booked, Advice anyone?!

Hi All,

I have finally got round to scheduling my 70-292 and 70-296 exams to try and nail the MCSE upgrade!

Pretty comfortable with DNS (After plenty of study) so just wondering if anyone has any last minute advice for these guys? I still have a week or so to cram up...

Cheers!
    MCSA/MCSE 2000
    MCSA/MCSE 2003
    CCNA

I love pies.

Re: MCSE 2003 upgrades booked, Advice anyone?!

Just do it chap. If you know the stuff you'll pass. If you don't you'll be given an idea where your weaknesses are (I think?) when you fail. Try self tests if you can find a good one you can afford... but don't use brain dumps. They're crap, they're inaccurate at best, and they're illegal.

Best of luck!

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks, i think i am just having my usual 'post exam booking' panic, where i start thinking that i should have waited longer before booking them!

But, at the end of the day, you have to just crack on with it!

I have been studying for the past 3 months, on and off, and have a fair bit of hands on with 2003. I guess i have spent too much time reading all of the horror stories associated with 70-292 and getting myself worked up.

Still, have about 10 days now to read, practice and memorise all the key concepts and i'm hoping thats enough to pull me through...

I will give an update on how they go for those still waiting to take these exams once i have done them!

Cheers
      MCSA/MCSE 2000
      MCSA/MCSE 2003
      CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

Originally posted by hairy51 View Post
        Thanks, i think i am just having my usual 'post exam booking' panic, where i start thinking that i should have waited longer before booking them!

But, at the end of the day, you have to just crack on with it!

I have been studying for the past 3 months, on and off, and have a fair bit of hands on with 2003. I guess i have spent too much time reading all of the horror stories associated with 70-292 and getting myself worked up.

Still, have about 10 days now to read, practice and memorise all the key concepts and i'm hoping thats enough to pull me through...

I will give an update on how they go for those still waiting to take these exams once i have done them!

Cheers

Just be careful with 70-296. MS pushed too many topics in to this upgrade exam.
        Too vast syllabus compare to 70-217 Active Directory exam. Ofcourse thats why these 2 are compressed upgrade exams for candidates who are MCSE on Windows Server 2000.
        All in 1
        Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I am brushing up on everything right now. Hoping they are going to stick to DNS and AD for the most part!

Am pretty worried about both of them to be honest, have read too many scary stories over the last month or so with frustrated people failing... I don' want to be one of them!
          MCSA/MCSE 2000
          MCSA/MCSE 2003
          CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

Hey all,

I passed 70-292 on Friday morning and 70-296 on Friday afternoon so have got my MCSE 2003 sorted.

Both exams were reasonably fair, nothing to confusing. For those still to take, I would recommned the MS press book, Technet and transcenders and STUDY HARD!

As everyone before me has no doubt said, they are no push-over, but they are easily acheivable if you have put the work in. I certainly would not rely on hands-on experience alone, you need the hands-on AND the theory for these guys.
            MCSA/MCSE 2000
            MCSA/MCSE 2003
            CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

Excellant mate - well done

P.s. Dont forget to update your sig

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk
              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

COngratulations -- 2 in a day, and tough exams at that!

DO you want to tell us a bit about the timing, number of questions etc, now your hangover has had a chance to go down?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Congrats! Well done. Two tests in one day. Nice!
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi all, Time for a quick report:

70-292 40 Questions, 2 hours time limit.

Overall, a very fair exam in my opinion. I scored 850. IIS cropped its head up again and again. The DNS was ok, nothing too confusing. All o fthe topics i expected came up. My advice to anyone taking it is to really take the time to read the MS press MCSA/MCSE upgrade book cover to cover before the exam and be familiar with everything in it. I then used Transcenders, which, although not like the real thing, prepare you very well and covered all of the topics pefectly. My only concern with the 292 and 296 Transcenders is some of the explanations weren;t up to much. Technet generally explains eveyrthing else.

70-292 50 Questions, 2 1/2 hours time limit

Much harder in my opinion, I scored 750. Lots of Security questions I.e IPSec, Certificates, SMB signing. Lots of AD, although i didn;t think any of the AD questions were too confusing.
                    I would say that you need to know IPSec, Certificates, Security Templates etc inside out for this one. Brush up on DNS and AD concepts on top of that and you should be fine.

FINALLY - DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL OF THE POSTS ABOUT HOW UNFAIR THIS EXAM IS!!!

It is perfectly fair and passable IF YOU STUDY and are familiar with Windows 2003!

Good luck to anyone still to go...
                    MCSA/MCSE 2000
                    MCSA/MCSE 2003
                    CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

Congratulations on your passes Hairy and thanks for your post exam thoughts.

You will have to start contributing to lots of the threads so people can see and admire your signature.

Also, what sort of pies DO you like?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X