Using Virtual Server / PC to prep for the MCSE certification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Virtual Server / PC to prep for the MCSE certification

Hi Every body I知 new in this forum and MCSE.
    Can some one please tell me what is the best for some one stufying MCSE a virtual pc or server .
    And what is the best setup for virtual pc or server to study mcse. (Like how many server do I need?)
    And if I need more than one should they have the same kind of server (server 2003) in bouth pc or different one and what their names?.
    And witch one is better to work with virtual pc or real pc?
    Thank you

Re: mcse

Originally posted by hfd View Post
    Hi Every body I知 new in this forum and MCSE.
    Can some one please tell me what is the best for some one stufying MCSE a virtual pc or server .
    And what is the best setup for virtual pc or server to study mcse. (Like how many server do I need?)
    And if I need more than one should they have the same kind of server (server 2003) in bouth pc or different one and what their names?.
    And witch one is better to work with virtual pc or real pc?
    Thank you
    If you have a powerful enough machine use Virtual PC or VMWare server.

BTW this is in the wrong place it should be in the Certification Forum.

Reported.

Comment

Re: Using Virtual Server / PC to prep for the MCSE certification

Hi HFD,
      As Wullie said, no problems at all with using virtual PC -- in fact, if you take any of the Microsoft Official courses, you wil use it throughout

The number of virtual machines depends on the exam, but, for example, 70-290 (the Server exam) uses 3 x 2003 Server and 1 x Xp Workstation -- each with 256 Mb RAM

For the networking (70-291) exam, IIRC it is the same

Good luck!
      Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Virtual PC (or VMWare) is very good to use. I use Virtual PC and run it on a Dual Core P4, 3GHz, 4GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT 256MB video card and a 320GB HDD. I have the following virtual machines:
        DOS 6.22
        Windows 95
        Windows 98
        NT 4.0 Workstation
        Windows 2000 Pro
        Windows XP Pro
        Vista
        NT 4.0 Server
        Windows Server 2000
        Windows Server 2003

The AD Network consists of:
        Windows Server 2003 DC
        Windows Server 2003 (Member) with ISA 2004
        Windows Server 2003 (Member) with Exchange 2003
        Windows XP Pro x 3 machines with various software

All 6 machines run together (at the same time) and I believe I could add another 2 servers without serious performance problems. The machine run at a resonable speed but obviously not as fast as a dedicated system. If you were to try and create the same network with actual hardware then the cost would be prohibitive even using seconf hand gear. So, Virtual is the way to go for learning. Also,if you make a mistake and trash the virtual machine, it only takes a couple of minutes to recreate it whereas it takes a lot longer to do a complete reinstall, updates and configure a real system.

The number of servers you need will depend on what you are wanting to do. With Virtual PC you just keep adding them until you have what is required or you run out of hardware and hat will most likely be RAM.

I am sure others will have different setups but I think Virtual wins hands down for trainiing senarios.
        Last edited by biggles77; 1st August 2007, 11:05. Reason: Spelling
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thank you for your reply for all of you
          it was very Important to me to know all this.
          biggles77 I think I have the same computer configuration as yours I just have to add more memory.
          Another thing.where someone can get softwares to built virtual pc or server. I heard they are very expensive.
          Thank again

Comment

Virtual PC http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx - FREE!!

VMWare http://www.vmware.com/ - Also FREE.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi
              Do I have to use windows server 2003 only in virtual server. Or I can use it even in virtual pc. And if someone can explain to me why and what is the difference.
              Thank you

Comment

Mr Google can explain the differences better than anyone here.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi
                  I'm going try the forum of virtual pc first
                  after that,like you said Mr Google
                  thank again

Comment

HFD, Please do not double post -- you have asked the same question in the Virtual PC forum http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=17432

Reported to admins
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi HFD

I deleted your post over in the Virtual PC/Server forum and I am responding to it here....

I assume you are asking if you have to use only Win 2003 Server as your GUEST OS. No, you can run just about any OS inside of Virtual Sever / Virtual PC. That includes

Win XP, 2000 Server/WS, 2003 Server, Vista, or Linux

You can get the full list of supported OSs over on the Virtual Server website.

Are you asking the difference between Virtual Server & Virtual PC?

If so, the main difference is really for the intended user. If you want a simple virtualization app for demonstration & testing without many more features, VPC is for you. If you want a more server-grade virtualization app, VS is for you.

As Biggles suggested, I googled this-
                      Virtual PC 2007 Overview
                      Virtual Server 2003 R2 Overview

If you have more questions about this same topic, please keep them contained in this thread. If you have questions on a different topic, then you can start a new thread in the right forum.

Thanks,
                      David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
                      Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
                      TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
                      Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Hi
                        I知 sorry about double posting. But if you look at my reply #9 you will see
                        That I said I知 going to posted it in virtual pc forum. I want just try my question in virtual pc forum because it was about virtual pc anyway
                        I google it like you said and I get lots helpful information
                        Thank you very much for all of you

Comment

Originally posted by hfd View Post
                          Hi
                          I知 sorry about double posting. But if you look at my reply #9 you will see
                          That I said I知 going to posted it in virtual pc forum. I want just try my question in virtual pc forum because it was about virtual pc anyway
                          I google it like you said and I get lots helpful information
                          Thank you very much for all of you
                          Actually your initial question was about using either a server or virtualisation software for studying for your MCSE.

If you have questions relating to either Virtual PC or VMWare then please post in the appropriate forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X