No announcement yet.

New User, longtime IT Tech in Navy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User, longtime IT Tech in Navy

i recently retired from the Navy..July 07..was a computer technician for 20 years..mainframe cpu and periphs, did a lot of pc repairs, and dabbled with networking.

last fall I entered a 9 month mcse track of study at a tech college in my town and got A's in all the courses...started cert testing last month.. passed comptua security elective..sys101 or whatever...70-270 last monday..and 70-290 today one week later... I am pumped up.. one more to go for MSCA cert...

i got a free voucher left so I will look at the test in a week..not sure if i will go for it first try, or just get a look at it... 3 for 3 so far on my tests

whoooo...only need to slay the beast for MCSA cert....

Re: New User, longtime IT Tech in Navy

Congratulations, lencombs!

70-291 next, so make sure you know your DNS and subnetting!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Nice work lencombs. Hope your skills keep carrying you through.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

Congratulations lencombs!

I was never in the Navy but I currently work as a system analyst for the Navy's network in the Far East. I feel that I am a pretty solid system admin (degree in IT, MCSE, blah, blah...) but I catch myself fumbling sometimes because of my lack of experience supporting this type of network.

Not to discredit certs but, all of the super galatic certs in the world can never replace your 20+ years as in IT in the navy if you choose to continue work as a contractor or civil service employee for the Navy's network.

Keep this in mind when you get burned out of studying for certficiation exams!

Anyway, congratulations again and good luck with your other exams!