Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need suggestion for fast way to MCSE2K..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestion for fast way to MCSE2K..

Hi, i must finish my MCSE on Windows 2000 in time just before the end of the 2007 so i can take the upgrade exams 70-292 and 70-296 at the start of 2008 with relatively calm
    Now, i must take one design exam and one elective exam for finish the whole.. so here it's m doubt.. what exams it's better to pick for me? Here is the choices..

Core exams: design

Exam 70-219: Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
    Exam 70-220: Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network
    Exam 70-221: Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure

Elective exams

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...nts.mspx#EKFAC

Here is the exams i've take in the past..

70-215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Server
    70-216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network Infrastructure
    70-217 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
    70-218 Managing a Windows 2000 Network Environment
    70-270 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

I think it's better to have a fast path now and gain MCSE very quickly no?

Best regards,

Tr3nga

Re: Need suggestion for fast way to MCSE2K..

Depending how you did in 70-216 and 70-217, take either 219 or 221. IIRC (long time ago), 221 seemed easier.

You could of course take 2 design exams, one as elective, but I would recommend a more "current" exam as elective, e.g. 70-284 for the 2003 MCSE/A+Messaging

The only other thing to consider is that 70-220 will count towards MCSE+Security
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian, finally i think i'll take 70-221 as design exam because it seems really simple at first look and when i took 70-216 i've achieved it with a very good score. Althought it's the most speedy way to the target i think also the 70-220 seems to me more interesting.. is only a wrong impressions or is the same exam with a lot of overlapping material?

For elective exam my choices are between:

Exam 70-350: Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004
      Exam 70-214: Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network

Any other exam suggested?

Tr3nga
      Last edited by Tr3nga; 19th June 2007, 10:28.

Comment

Hi, after a long period of silence and hard daily work on my company recently i've read the entire book of 70-221 and now i'm preparing to take the real exam test.

This is my first exam about design theory and i'm having some difficulties whem i try to immagine what kind of question and exam-format i'll facing the day of test.

Anybody can give me a clear view about this exam and any suggestions to make it at the best as i can?!

Thank in advance

Tr3nga

Comment

Hi Tr3nga,
          From my last design exam (3 years ago):

Exam is long (over 3 hours) -- you may not need all the time
          Format is 4 case studies

Each is a multi-tabbed exhibit with perhaps 6-8 tabs and a lot of reading. There are then 10 (ish) questions per case study

My strategy was to
          1) Skim the study to pick up the gist of it
          2) Check the questions to see exactly what is being looked for
          3) Return to the study knowing what topics are relevant and take notes
          4) Deal with the questions as usual

I cannot remember if you could return to a case study after moving on to the next one, but i assume you could

Hope this helps
          Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I just took a design exam and it was in the following format:

* 5 case studys with a different number of questions each time (total 35 Questions)
            * All questions were multi choice.
            * You were alloted a certain amount of time per case study i.e. 30 mins etc
            * Once you finished and reviewed a case study you were not permitted to return to it once you started the next case study.

Hope this helps

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank a lot to both guyz! I appreciated your notes and tips.. now i'm more calm and ready to focus in a more precisely way the exam objectivies.

Very helpful replies, i'll inform you as soon i'll terminate the test!

Trenga

Comment

Yes guyz, i did it! I passed the exam 70-221 with a score of 856 and now i begin to see near the target and keep moving really fast than before to prepare the next (and last!) exam and finally gain my MCSE on Win2k"

After that obviously i'll take also the two upgrade exams but now i wish to choose a good elective exam, my idea would be:

- 70-214 Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network --> Maybe old but surely a speedy way to success

- 70-284 Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 --> More interesting and valuable to actual IT enviroments

- 70-350 Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2004 --> Another one that seems really good for me

As always i'll wait your comments and suggestions and then start to study!

Regards,

-Tr3nga-

Comment

congrats!

now on to the next one...
                  its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                  Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Hey all of you, your replies are in a little late!

So i avoided the tentation to take the easy way for my last test and choosing an easy exam like 70-214 that i was thinking about and decided to pick up a more interesting one.. 70-284 Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003!

Tomorrow i'll start that book and see you a few days before the real exam day!

-=Tr3nga=-

Comment

Belated congratulations on 221, and best of luck for 284
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Hello boys, today it's a great day for me, finally i must say it.. I'm a MCSE on Windows 2000!!! Passed the 70-284 with ridicolous score of 700/1000 when 700 was the required passing score.. it's a really poor performance after been studying hard for 3 months

In addition it must be consider that although the exams questions were only 30 the scenarios were too complicated and a lot of reading in relationship with the total session time of only 2 hours and 15 minutes.

However the really surprise now is that in my transcript shown on Microsoft MCP Member Site it's not indicated that i earned any MCSE on Window 2000.. but only that i passed the exam 70-284! How can it be? I picked up the wrong exam for my cert path? Some display issue on MS site or simply delay in updating those info? Theorically I would be eligible for receiving a MCSE Welcome Kit as when i gained MCSA right? Anyone can explain me what's up?

For simplify the whole my transcript is reported below:

Microsoft Certification Status

Credential Certification / Version Date Achieved
                        Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator Oct 20, 2006
                        Microsoft Windows 2000 Oct 20, 2006
                        Microsoft Certified Professional Jul 23, 2004

Microsoft Certification Exams Completed Successfully

Exam ID Description Date Completed
                        284 Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Jan 25, 2008
                        221 Designing a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network Infrastructure Sep 28, 2007
                        217 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure Apr 06, 2007
                        270 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Oct 20, 2006
                        218 Managing a Windows 2000 Network Environment Jun 09, 2006
                        216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network Infrastructure Nov 25, 2005
                        215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Server Jul 23, 2004

Thx in advance,

Tr3nga

p.s. i cannot start to drink without clarifying first this situation

Comment

Well, according to the gurus (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...uirements.mspx) you have everything you need

If I were you, I would fire off a quick email to your local regional centre and get them to check. I think you should have MCSE(2000) and MCSA:Messaging (2000)

I know the system has been a bit buggy lately, so maybe it will take a day or so to come through, but get MS to do the legwork!

Congratulations! Very well done. Now enjoy :singlemalt: and endure :hangover:
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

I know when I passed my final exam for the MCSE it took at least 4 days for it to be posted on the site.

Comment

All of my problems are solved now! Ossian, you got the right.. my transcript appears correct and reports both MCSE(2000) and MCSA:Messaging (2000).. a lot of satisfaction and proudly inside to have work hard in order to get these certs

Go to preparing for 2 upgrade exams to 2003, it's a battle against the time but now i'm very motivated!

Thx to all for suggestions and excellent support,

Tr3nga

Comment

Working...
                              X