Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on my cert track.

Here is a little history:

I'm currently the Director of IT for an insurance agency. I started out here during college part time doing the basic net admin stuff. Company grew as I grew in skills and while it is still pretty small in terms of total IT shop there is a total of 2 IT folks and a few consultants I bring in from time to time.

I have 2 bachelor degrees (business management and information systems) and my mcp in win2k pro. I've been meaning to get back on the cert track but actual work seems to get in the way.

So my question is: I'm looking to get back to work on my MCSE. I feel pretty confident with AD, Exchange, Windows OS, etc. I'll probably self study for all the tests. Is there any benefit in holding off on MCSE2k3 and waiting for the new cert structure? Or is the MCSE 2k3 still valid enough that I won't be rushing to cert before it is killed off? Also, can I use my Win2k Pro towards the mcse2k3 or will I need to take WinXP to get on the MCSE2k3 path?
    Last edited by eod; 15th June 2007, 20:12.

Re: Looking for advice on my cert track.

Win2003 is still valid imo. It'll be some time before the Windows 2008 tests come online. Not only that, you'll notice as with previous certs some of the tests overlap.

With Windows 2000 exams from NT overlapped, same with 2000 to 2003.

If you're worried about it, focus on the electives, these usually overlap while core exams may not. AFAIK MS hasn't retired [meaning no longer recognized] any Win2000 exams yet because many of them still make sense.

Also, Exam 70-210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional does count toward MCSE for Win2003.
    Last edited by ahinson; 16th June 2007, 06:57.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Why do you want to go to certification path anyway? You have bachelor degree and you have documented experience in the system field. I think that in your case holding a certificate from Microsoft is unnecessary. (For finding a job or climbing to higher position).

Comment

Originally posted by boaz21 View Post
        Why do you want to go to certification path anyway? You have bachelor degree and you have documented experience in the system field. I think that in your case holding a certificate from Microsoft is unnecessary. (For finding a job or climbing to higher position).
        There's no reason not to do it - unless you're lazy. I have a bachelor's degree and certs. It definately doesn't hurt to have the certs especially when many potential jobs require an MCS E/A.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson View Post
          There's no reason not to do it - unless you're lazy. I have a bachelor's degree and certs. It definately doesn't hurt to have the certs especially when many potential jobs require an MCS E/A.
          It was a good question. One I have asked myself many times and part of the reason that I never finished up my win2k track.

Couple reasons why I think it'd be good.

1) There is always more to learn.

2) Future jobs. While I enjoy my current position, I have seen some job posting for project management work that I have seen requires technical certs. Infact no matter your experience on paper, the HR hiring manager wants to see things like MCSE, CCNA. A lot of times it is because they have heard/seen it elsewhere but whatever it takes to continue to earn a decent wage, I'll do it.

3) My signature line is much too small.

4) It would be kind of fun. I always enjoy a good challenge.

Then there is another part of me that says, maybe for a little more time and effort I could just go back and grab my MBA.

Comment

Eod,

I guess you misunderstood me; it's probably because my native language is not English.

1. Read a little threads in this forum and other IT forums what people think about Microsoft certificate and Microsoft questions in particular

2. I don't think their is someone who can survive in the IT field without learning and studying new technologies and constantly improving his/her IT skills.

If you have time and money do the certificate exams, but in my opinion if you already have several years of document experience as IT manager and bachelor degree several certificates won't add allot to your resume.

Comment

Working...
            X