MCT advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCT advice please

Is anyone here an MCT and wouldn't mind me asking some questions ?

I work in a very specific field and have recently qualified as an MCT in order to provide specific training (I also hold the CompTIA CTT).

I would like to get some advice on getting coursework and setting up my first training sessions. (most likely 1 on 1).

Thanks, guys.
    Neil Mac

Re: MCT advice please

What would you like to know? I've been an MCT for the past 7 years.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ask away -you've got several here, albeit not all with Daniel's experience
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you.

Practical stuff, you probably not much value in the forum, it might be better if I PM.

I just need hand getting to grips with the procedure for getting materials and setting up training, I work for myself, so I don't have a parent organisation to learn from.

I seem unable to really get much from the MCT site.

I need to know about training materials, instructor guides, o/s images and so on.

I have a nice easy start, a 1-on-1 xp course at the end of June.

For practical purposes, I have nothing, so any pointers to help me get set up would be great.

Oh, and how to charge correctly...

Thanks guys, for the help, the forum, and, well, everything.

Last edited by neilmac; 1st June 2007, 22:08.
        Neil Mac

Comment

Neil,

I am not an MCT, but have had one to one (and classroom) training in a Microsoft certified training centre.

The Moc's (Microsoft Official Curriculum) for classroom follows the same structure as the e-learning directory; for one exam there may be several courses which a student needs to complete. The difference being in the classroom you use the books (which I thought were quite good) with Virtual PC images of Server, XP, Exchange or whatever you are teaching.

Does the MCT site allow trainers to purchase material?

Hope this little helps!

Comment

Hi, Simon.

Yep, I can order materials through the MCT site, that's not an issue. It seems to be student material, not instructor material, unless I missed it.

When you qualify as an MCT, you get a list of the courses you are authorised to teach, it's done on course number, not exam number, so you're right in pointing out that some exams are more than one course. It's a breach of the agreement to teach a course that's not on your list, and you will have the MCT revoked as a result.

I really am looking for tips on getting set up, you know, things like getting the software and images for the server and workstations while staying compliant with licensing, and the pricing structure for the courses.

I did many courses on the way to getting qualified, and I instruct other types of courses.

However, making the move onto presenting MS courses isn't as obvious as it would appear.

-Neil
            Last edited by neilmac; 1st June 2007, 23:41.
            Neil Mac

Comment

Neil,

I am in contact with a full time MCT, so will ask about the images, licensing and any other tips he may have.

So, the MCT site keeps up with the rest of microsoft's literature - not *quite* clear and difficult to find the same thing more than once!

Comment

Neil
                You can download instructor materials and PC images freely from the MCT site but (unless they have changed radically in the last few weeks), you must order student materials from an authorised training centre.

Licensing is not an issue with the images -- you will get your personal VLKs for Server and XP (and no doubt Vista now). Follow the instructions with each course for activation etc then save the images for further use.

Pricing is up to you as long as you cover your costs. I tend to work on a "instructor day rate" plus materials costs plus a setup fee (per PC) for doing the images.

Make sure you do not go outwith your official list of courses and also make sure you set up a Metrics That Matter account and get your students to fill in evaluations -- 15 per year minimum IIRC

Good luck!
                Tom
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

To add on Tom's words - when you d'l the VMs for the course you need to activate them. You need to send an email to mslpkd @ microsoft . com (added spaces to prevent bot spam) with your name and MCT ID. They will send you instructions on how to activate the images.

Also, try to look at the private MCT newsgroups, there's a lot of info there, although not as thorough as one might expect. Another issue is the fact that the newsgroups do not have a lot of archived history, only about 2 or 3 months, which makes a lot of information to just vanish. Some keep a private archive of the newsgroups. I used to too, but it got erased on one of those hd formats...
                  Last edited by danielp; 3rd June 2007, 14:59.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I am slowly getting there, I have my first XP course to deliver at the end of the month.

I'll let you know if I need more help.

By the way, is it common to have the pc crash when installing the VM's ?

Lots of problems with that, I have 2GB memory on the laptop too....
                    Neil Mac

Comment

Originally posted by neilmac View Post
                      Thanks, guys.

By the way, is it common to have the pc crash when installing the VM's ?

Lots of problems with that, I have 2GB memory on the laptop too....
                      Never had problems here, using 1.5 and 2Gb laptops

Which version of VPC are you using, on which host OS?
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X