Which exam is the toughest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which exam is the toughest

Ok I have passed 70-270 70-290 and 70-291. I have 70-293, 70-294, 70-297 and 70-298 left. Which exams did everyone find to be the toughest. I have passed all so far on the first try with very good scores. However, I did not find any of them easy. So I am just curious which exam you all think was the most difficult.

Re: Which exam is the toughest

The one you are worst prepared for

Seriously, if you are well prepared, all the exams are "fair but tough". Some people hate design exams -- personally I like the challenge of solving "real world" problems. From your list, I have heard it said that 70-294 is tougher than the others, but I found it OK.

As always, make sure you have a balance of
    Real World experience (even if its in a virtual lab)
    Book knowledge for the "MS Way" of doing things
    Practice tests to get the hang of the exam style

Most people here will tell you (correctly) that experience counts for more than the other two factors

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have been using Transenders Practice Test along with MS Press Books. I also have been a Systems Admin for 3 yrs and have converted about 4 companies from NT Domain to 2003 AD on the side. I have plenty of real world experience and have found it the best of all. I also have a complete vmware domain setup with 3 Server 2003 and 5 XP machines that I practice on. I jst finished 70-291 and found it harder than I expected all though I passed with an 800. Thanks for the info

Comment

Just remember the questions require the Microsoft answer which is NOT usually the real world answer.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Just remember the questions require the Microsoft answer which is NOT usually the real world answer.
          Do you know, I remember that being VERY true of NT4 - but I cannot for the life of me think of a SINGLE example of that in Windows Server 2003? As far as I can tell, M$ best practice aligns pretty well in W2k3 with sensible practice in real life...

Could you highlight some examples?

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

From the couple of 2K3 exams I have seen they seemed to maintain the MS answer track so I ass u me ed that all the others were the same. Shame on me.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              From the couple of 2K3 exams I have seen they seemed to maintain the MS answer track so I ass u me ed that all the others were the same. Shame on me.
              Hey no criticism here mate; I just hear people saying all the time that "M$ World" is nothing like the real world... and yet my organisation, and all the others I come into contact with, insist on adopting M$ Best Practice... I'm confused. I just thought you might have an idea which bits were different to real world practice...

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

I found that the toughest exam by far was 291. Close second would have to be 294.

Comment

Almost every exam that I most recently sat is the toughest.
                  VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                  boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                  My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

My toughest exam was 70-216 (the beast)

I failed this twice before i passed it.

Studied like a biatch for it each time.

Comment

70-217 was the craziest exam I ever had. All questions were of minimum 7 lines. Oh my god !! I dont like to go through this much big history. After reading 8 lines question, anybody gets puzzled. Hehe !! Cisco exams are pretty straight forward. Question in a single line.

I took 3 attempts for 70-217. And continued tradition ..Haha !! Also took 3 atempts for 70-296 i.e. upgrade exam for Win2k3 . They added too much advanced AD related stuff in 70-296 exam..

I dont no why many people think that 70-216 was a evil. I am not pointing at anybody as such..When I was preparing for MS exams, every1 was saying "Hey 70-216" is evil.." Sit for that exam when you finish remaining 6 exams. Hehe !!!

Designing exams are kewl. Because you have to go through scenario. You have plenty time to read it and just to answer 5~6 answers for each scenario...
                      All in 1
                      Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Originally posted by sco1984 View Post
                        70-217 was the craziest exam I ever had. All questions were of minimum 7 lines. Oh my god !! I dont like to go through this much big history. After reading 8 lines question, anybody gets puzzled. Hehe !! Cisco exams are pretty straight forward. Question in a single line.
                        Don't sit any SQL server exams, then -- the ANSWERS are typically 8 lines of code (each) and you have to spend ages picking out the very slight differences between them!

I agree re design exams
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Not on your list, but I agree 216 was the toughest. Rescheduled 7 times before I could work up enough courage to take it.

Of the ones you list, the design exams tend to be the hardest. You have to take a different strategy of attacking them or you will rum out of time. Best advice I can offer is read the questions first to get an idea of what you are being ask, then go back and scan the scenario for the specific information you need.

Good luck,
                          Wiley
                          MSCA (2000 & 2003), MCSE (2000 & 2003), A+, Net+
                          Next exams:70-298, 70-299 & Security+ for MCSE + Security
                          "Never argue with a fool, because someone standing 15 feet away will not know which one of you is the fool."

Comment

I agree, I have failed this test 6 times. I am now taking a break from it so I don't waste another 6 x 125.00. I do know alot of people who have killed it on the first try.

Originally posted by gambit View Post
                            I found that the toughest exam by far was 291. Close second would have to be 294.

Comment

I don't get this... ALL the exams are horrifically tough, if you don't know the material before you sit it.

If you go into the exam having had plenty of experience (you will recall that this is one of Microsoft's clear pre-requisites before even THINKING about MCP/MCSA/MCSE), and having read up, and having tested yourself thoroughly... then you will pass the exam. Simple as that. If you DON'T know the material, you will at best find the exam really REALLY hard, and at worst you will fail it.

The ball is in your hand right now; you can either hold onto it or you can drop it... it is entirely your choice.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X