70-292

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70-292

I'm about ti sit the 70-292 exam. Is there anyone who can give me any pointers on this one?
    PITTBULL

Re: 70-292

Since you are upgrading, you already have MCSE/A 2000 so you know the drill!

Practical Knowledge
    MS Book Learning
    Self Tests

Concentrate on the differences from Win2K, especially command line options and scripting

Good luck!

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Pittbull View Post
      I'm about ti sit the 70-292 exam. Is there anyone who can give me any pointers on this one?

Wow!!!! After so many months, I hear that some1 is upgrading ..Ha !! I remember when I passed 70-292 in late 2003 . I became early achiever. WINS, DHCP and other network related thing remains same.

IIS, ASR isnt much difficult. Creating & managing user accounts is also not a big deal to pass this exam.. Terminal services is cool. ALl Windows Servers have it.

But i strongly recomand you to review Microsoft's official book which is for 70-292 & 70-296. 1 single book for both exams. I took 3 attempts for 70-296 . Baaaa !!
      Active directory in Windows 2003 is too complicated. Salute to Microsoft Hehe !!

Also check out syllabus link for 70-292 exam.
      http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-292.mspx

What else..... Dont worry about 70-292. Easy if you are comfortable with DNS,WINS,DHCP and CA etc etc . Best of luck,

Regards,
      Amey.
      All in 1
      Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Follow jnisbet's study notes at this location:
        http://forums.windowsitpro.com/web/f...&enterthread=y

Very very very very very very valuable.

70-292 is one of the tougher exams out there. 70-292 is commonly referred to as "the beast".

You don't have to already be an MCSA on Windows 2000 to sit this exam; I wasn't. The Windows 2000 certification track was stupid in that you could be an MCSE, but you were still missing one test for the MCSA. Inquiring minds want to know: What does an MCSA know that an MCSE doesn't know?

Microsoft changed this in the Windows 2003 track - anyone who became an MCSE on Windows 2003 automatically became an MCSA which makes a lot more sense.

My actual cert path was:
        MCSE on Windows NT4
        MCSE on Windows 2000
        MCSE on Windows Server 2003 and MCSA on Windows Server 2003 at the same time by passing 70-296
        Then I sat some BS Managing a Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure to obtain MCSA on Windows 2000.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

So, there are people still out there taking this one!

Let me know how you get on. I have been tasked by my employer with upgrading to MCSE2003 and i have just read that the 2 upgrade exams are to retire next year.

Also, read far too many horror stories about the 70-292!!!

I really don't want to recertify if i have to take more than 2 exams, if there is anyone else out there who has taken these, let me know how you found them!

Cheers and good luck
          MCSA/MCSE 2000
          MCSA/MCSE 2003
          CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

I'm sure there are plenty of people still taking this exam.

I passed last year. Difficult exams.

If you don't sit these exams, it's likely that you will lose any upgrade path made available for Windows Server 2008
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

There are plenty of us slackers out there who haven't upgraded our MCSE 2000 track yet. I am finally going to take 70-292 next Thursday after owning the Upgrade book for about 2 years now.

Pittbull: There has been one common trend everywhere I have read about this test and that is "Know your DNS!" DNS is weighted heavy on this test so even if you ace everything else, the DNS questions will kill you every time.

As far as this thing being called "the beast" I can understand why. I remember when you could actually print off troytec/testking and bind them up in a folder so you can casually look them over out on the back patio. But this bugger is over 1100 pages!!! It scares me already.

Good luck to everyone else taking this test, I know I will need some.

Yerg

Comment

Troytec and Test King - Both are illegal brain dump companies.

The MS Press book is 1,700 pages, and unfortunately not enough to get you past the exam. You'll need supplemental study material which I mentioned above in a previous post.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Comment

I have read most of the 1100 page “Upgrading you Certification to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Self-Paced Training Kit." I also have plenty of real-world experience having just undergone a major Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 Migration product for ~72000 users. I have read plenty of white papers and other documents to help me gain the knowledge for the Windows Server 2003 environment. But as with all tests, mostly designed to throw you off, I have looked to other authorities to provide the information needed to pass those tests.

As to say that the TestKings are illegal, I believe they are still up in the courts about that.

As for the TestKing content, they give you questions similar to the questions that you will find on the actual test, but also give you explanations to the correct answers as well as explanations to the incorrect answers. I think these are very effective tools to help you with the exams themselves.

For those who study the tests just to pass the exams, their resumes and interviews will surely reflect what they actually know.

Yerg

Comment

Originally posted by Yerg View Post
                    As to say that the TestKings are illegal, I believe they are still up in the courts about that.
                    Well it sounds like you would like to stand shoulder to shoulder with Test King. That is a shame. They are illegal. A reason why Test King has not been brought to justice sooner is because it is much more difficult for a United States company to apply law and order to someone in another country. A settlement was announced within the past week. Test King must remove all cheat content that violates NDA material (ie. actual test questions).

As for the TestKing content, they give you questions similar to the questions that you will find on the actual test, but also give you explanations to the correct answers as well as explanations to the incorrect answers. I think these are very effective tools to help you with the exams themselves.
                    They are effective tools to get a person past the exam because they supply actual exam questions. That is why they are illegal and that is why Microsoft sued them. The people behind Troytec were sent to prison. The point of certification is that a person is supposed to study the concepts and the product and then apply your knowledge to an exam. If a person studies well enough, they should be able to pass the exam. Reviewing actual exam questions and answers (I don't care if they have explanations or not) is cheating and it's as effective in the work place. That is why brain dumping lowers the value of certification, because employers have figured it out and certified individuals now have a hard time finding a job because their credentials don't mean as much.

For those who study the tests just to pass the exams, their resumes and interviews will surely reflect what they actually know.
                    That we agree on. You solidify my point that braindumping certified individuals look good on paper, but fail in the interview. That sends a bad message to employers about certification. That's why it's damaging.

Good luck on your studies Yerg. Your real world experience will assist you on these exams.

Comment

How did you do Yerg? What was the exam like...

Just passed CCNA so i am determined tp upgrade my MCSE before they expire the upgrades in March next year...
                      MCSA/MCSE 2000
                      MCSA/MCSE 2003
                      CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

Hairy51, congratulations on gaining your CCNA. Well done!! A fine effort. You get one week off then back into it for the upgrade.

Originally posted by jasonboche
                        A reason why Test King has not been brought to justice sooner is because it is much more difficult for a United States company to apply law and order to someone in another country. A settlement was announced within the past week. Test King must remove all cheat content that violates NDA material (ie. actual test questions).
                        Then, why has Transcender got away with the exact same thing TestKing is/was doing. Transgender questions are and exact copy of the MS tests, as much as TestKing's were. From what I have seen of the Transgender tests, even the bloody test interface is an exact MS copy. Why then are they still in business? Have they moved offshore?

[These are personal views and in no way reflect the views or opinions of Petri IT Knowledgebase, its owners or management]
                        Disclaimer added due to the known bully tactics used by Transcender.
                        Last edited by biggles77; 11th June 2007, 10:22.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yep! I've had my week off now, so back to the study!

Got myself the Sybex MCSE/MCSA upgrade book, the Official MS book and got myself on a MOC course mid-july.

HOPEFULLY should be able to start nailing the exams after that!
                          MCSA/MCSE 2000
                          MCSA/MCSE 2003
                          CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            Then, why has Transcender got away with the exact same thing TestKing is/was doing. Transgender questions are and exact copy of the MS tests, as much as TestKing's were. From what I have seen of the Transgender tests, even the bloody test interface is an exact MS copy. Why then are they still in business? Have they moved offshore?
                            AFAIK Microsoft have no problem with the user-interface for the test engine matching their own one (which was probably bought in anyway). Transcender (and Self Test Software, who use the same interface) are official "Microsoft Certified Practice Test Provider" which, I presume, means MS are checking over their questions and approving them before they are released.

I agree that some questions are very similar to the real exam (I noticed this on the SQL Server (228/229 exams) and the DST (271/272) series), but then again, how many ways are there to cover some of the course objectives.

So maybe it boils down to "are you willing to pay to become a MCPTP" and then the rules change

[Same disclaimer as Biggles -- personal views only]

Tom
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well, I have decided to book it for the end of July this year. That gives me about 7 weeks to get my head stuck in the book...

Now, where did that motivation go....I am sure i left it around here somewhere...
                              MCSA/MCSE 2000
                              MCSA/MCSE 2003
                              CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

Working...
                              X